Keep season jolly by protecting pets' safety

By

Published:

 

Ornaments on the Christmas tree, popcorn and cranberry strings and, of course, sweet, sugary treats.

Sounds like a festive holiday celebration -- for people. But for pets?

Ornaments are treats that shouldn't be eaten, sugar leads to being sick and popcorn strings could be a quick way to tip over a Christmas tree.

"My dog did that one year," said Dr. Crystal Scott, veterinarian at Kindness Animal Hospital in Grand Forks, N.D. Her dog had tried to eat popcorn off of the tree, only to end up with the whole tree falling on top of him.

But these holiday hazards don't mean pet owners can't celebrate -- they just need to take precautions.

With the holidays comes the cold, and "the worst thing a pet can get into in the winter is anti-freeze," Scott said. "If you don't catch it in the first 24 hours (after a pet drinks anti-freeze) it can cause kidney failure."

And unfortunately anti-freeze tastes sweet to pets, Scott said. Sometimes pet owners will be working in their garage and not notice their dog drink spilled anti-freeze, she said.

"Luckily most people who own pets know about anti-freeze, but we still get one from time to time," she said.

BAD TREATS

Holiday festivities can also be dangerous to pets if their owners aren't careful.

Scott suggests that pet owners watch electrical cords when hanging Christmas lights, because pets could pull or chew the cords.

Pet owners should also remember that holiday foods can make pets sick, so chocolate and other sweets shouldn't be fed to pets, she said.

And pet owners shouldn't give ham or turkey bones to pets, Scott said. "We always worry about bones splintering."

She also suggested keeping ornaments out of the reach of pets.

"We do see a lot of dogs that think the ornaments are treats," Scott said.