Firefighters douse house fire near Vancouver Lake

Officials say switch on lamp ignited holiday decorations

By Patty Hastings, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

Updated: December 17, 2013, 8:13 PM

 
Reported house fire location

Fire caused an estimated $175,000 damage to a house near Vancouver Lake on Tuesday night.

No one was hurt in the 5:06 p.m. blaze at 2303 N.W. 69th St. The owner, however, was displaced.

Upon seeing flames, “She just scooped up her dogs and got out of there,” said Fire District 6 Battalion Chief Larry Reese. “She’s not going to be able to live there (for some time).” He said the Red Cross is helping the woman. He said he believed she had at least three dogs.

Reese said a switch in a back-bedroom lamp malfunctioned, sparked and caught Christmas decorations on fire.

Fire District 6 brought three engines and the Vancouver Fire Department brought a fire truck and two engines.

Reese said 24 firefighters had the fire under control within 75 minutes. He said firefighters were able to enter the house and pull down ceilings to quell the blaze. He said he thought the structure could be repaired.

The house is at the northwest tip of Vancouver’s Northwest Neighborhood. The boundaries for the Fruit Valley and West Hazel Dell neighborhoods are adjacent. Reese said the house is about 300 yards from Vancouver Lake.

The owners of the house are Anita and Roger Pierce, according to Clark County property records.