Three men appear in court in Ridgefield home-invasion robbery

High school was locked down during search for suspect




Four men accused of running after Ridgefield police stopped their SUV Thursday had traveled from the Puget Sound area to steal firearms in a home-invasion robbery, according to a Clark County prosecutor.

The suspects stand accused of masquerading as police officers and invading the victims’ home in the 23000 block of Northwest Hillhurst Road, a mile south of Ridgefield High School.

They were identified as Larry C. Kyle, 37, of North Bend, Ruben Vega, 36, of Carnation, Regan C. Davis, 52, of Everett, and Jarrod A. Wiebe, 26, of Snohomish.

Court records say they tied up a 45-year-old man in his living room and threatened to report him to immigration if he didn’t give them $10,000. They allegedly ordered the man’s 40-year-old wife to sit with him in the living room, then stole shotguns, rifles and pistols. Court records don’t reveal whether the victim complied with the suspects’ request to give them money.

Kyle, Vega and Davis appeared Friday in Clark County Superior Court on suspicion of two counts of residential burglary, two counts of first-degree kidnapping, two counts of first-degree robbery, two counts of criminal impersonation and two counts of second-degree extortion.

Wiebe was too sick to be brought to court Friday, according to court records. Judge Scott Collier rescheduled his first appearance for Monday.

Senior Deputy Prosecutor Kasey Vu said a search warrant will be served on a white Isuzu Trooper the suspects were seen driving after the robbery. Evidence found in the vehicle may result in additional charges, Vu said.

He said the four suspects targeted the couple and planned the robbery and extortion. He didn’t elaborate on how they may have known the victims and where they lived.

Collier held Kyle, Vega and Davis on bail of $200,000. The judge appointed Vancouver attorneys Susan Stauffer, Sean Downs and Renee Alsept to defend Kyle, Vega and Davis, respectively.

The incident came to light after Ridgefield police stopped the Isuzu about 2:25 p.m. Thursday at Northwest Carty and Hillhurst roads.

After the driver stopped, all four suspects allegedly climbed of the SUV and ran.

In the vehicle, police found multiple guns and police-style vests and body armor, court records say.

Three of the suspects were quickly apprehended and taken into custody. With one possibly armed suspect still on the loose, Ridgefield enlisted assistance from the Battle Ground and La Center police and the Clark County Sheriff’s Office.

Ridgefield High School was locked down for more than an hour as a precaution.

As police searched, they received the report of the nearby home invasion robbery and the case began to come together.

A police dog ultimately tracked down the fourth suspect, identified as Vega, sometime before 3:45 p.m.

A sheriff’s spokesman said Thursday that no one was injured during the break-in, but authorities were still investigating.