Bedroom fire sparked by candle displaces family of 9

By Patty Hastings, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

Updated: December 30, 2013, 10:20 PM

 

A bedroom fire sparked by a candle displaced a family of nine Monday afternoon in Battle Ground.

The fire was reported at 3:31 p.m. at 414 S.E. Grace Ave., a two-story house.

Although firefighters quickly knocked down the fire, containing it to the first-floor bedroom, the structure was left uninhabitable, said Battalion Chief Tim Dawdy, spokesman for Clark County Fire & Rescue. Smoke damaged rooms on the second floor as well, Dawdy said.

The American Red Cross Cascades Region provided food and clothing, comfort kits, and information about disaster mental health and disaster health services to three adults and six children living there.

The Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office said the fire was sparked by a candle left unattended in the bedroom. The blaze caused an estimated $99,000 damage to the home and its contents.

Dawdy urges people to swap out regular candles for flameless candles lit by LED lights to avoid the risk of starting a fire. He also noted that 3,000-square-foot house only had one working smoke detector. Homeowners, he said, should have several working smoke detectors.

County property records indicate the house was built in 1968 and is owned by Alice and Jerry Daniels.