Loving your pet means not sharing chocolate

By

Published:

 

Love your pet by making sure they don't eat any chocolate this Valentine's Day.

Chocolate can be fatal for animals because it contains a chemical compound that's toxic to animals, according to a news release from DoveLewis Emergency Animal Hospital in Portland.

Signs of chocolate poisoning include:

• Excitement, nervousness and trembling

• Vomiting and diarrhea

• Excessive thirst and urination

• Muscle spasms and seizures

• Coma and death

Darker chocolates with higher cacao percentages are deadlier because they contain higher amounts of the chemical theobromine than milk or semi-sweet chocolates. The severity of the reaction depends on the size of the dog, the amount of chocolate and the kind of chocolate, the news release said. If your animal eats any amount of chocolate, seek immediate medical advice from a local animal hospital.