Blaze sparked by fireworks causes major damage at Battle Ground home

By Eric Florip, Columbian transportation & environment reporter

Published:

 

An early-morning fire sparked by improperly disposed of fireworks gutted a Battle Ground home and damaged two others before multiple agencies managed to contain the blaze Tuesday.

No one was injured in the fire, said Battalion Chief Tim Dawdy with Clark County Fire & Rescue. But the fire was large enough to force the evacuation of three homes — the house where the fire originated, and one home on either side of it, Dawdy said.

The first emergency call came in at about 4 a.m. Tuesday from 1808 S.W. Sixth St. in Battle Ground. The home’s residents had set off fireworks earlier in the evening, Dawdy said, but left them next to the rear of the house. Hours later, the spent fireworks caused the fire that left the home “extensively damaged,” he said.

The flames caused about $265,000 in damage to that home, Dawdy said.

The two neighboring houses each sustained about $10,000 in damage due to melted siding, he said. Battle Ground fire crews were first on the scene, followed by Clark County Fire and Rescue, Clark County Fire District 3 and the Vancouver Fire Department. The American Red Cross was also there to assist the family of the home where the fire started.

“It was really, really a mess,” Dawdy said.

Dawdy stressed that people should properly dispose of fireworks after using them. That means putting them in a metal or a non-flammable container, or dousing them with water and keeping them away from structures, he said.