SWAT team arrests man after report of gun
Vancouver police find no sign of weapon upon response to alleged threat
Originally published January 14, 2013 at 9:03 a.m., updated January 14, 2013 at 9:19 a.m.
Vancouver police and a SWAT team blocked off the 200 block of Southeast 100th Avenue on Monday morning for a report of a man who threatened a woman with a firearm.
Police received a 911 call made by a third person not at the residence about 8:30 a.m. and were told that a woman had been threatened at the central Vancouver house.
When police arrived, the woman came out of the house and police took the suspect into custody without incident. The man, identified as Gregory Wright, 32, did not have a weapon and no weapon was found during a search by police.
Wright was taken into custody for an outstanding warrant from the state Department of Corrections.
There was no indication that anyone was threatened, said Kim Kapp, spokeswoman for the Vancouver Police Department.
“The situation as it was described was unfounded,” she said.
It’s normal for a heavy armed response by police to situations where they believe a person may have a firearm.
According to the Clark County Sheriff’s Office, Wright sexually assaulted two females, ages 14 and 13, in 1998. He threatened the 13-year-old girl with a knife before the assault, and during the assault of the 14-year-old girl, he threatened and choked the girl, according to the sheriff’s office. In 2006, he pleaded guilty to attempted communication with a minor when he was found to be sexually involved with a 15-year-old female.