Talking Points: Twittering over Te'o
Thursday, January 17, 2013
This Manti Te'o story is one of the stranger, unbelievable (in more ways than one) stories we've heard in a long time.
But rather than trying to make heads or tails of the details or the explanations by Te'o or Notre Dame, it was more fun to read the different tweets in reaction to the story.
Here's a sampling of our favorite (and we won't attribute the tweets because we can'tt be sure they are from an actual person)
• "Manti Te'o just changed his Facebook status to 'it's complicated.' "
• "If you think it's impressive that AJ McCarron's girlfriend was Miss Alabama 2012, Manti Te'o's girlfriend was Miss Narnia 2009, 2010 & 2011."
• "Lance Armstrong on the phone with his minions: 'Excellent news. Operation Te'o is work magnificently! MUUUUUUhahahaha!' "
• "I heard M. Night Shyamalan has new movie. It's about Te'o and his girlfriend, and she doesn't -- well, I don't want to spoil the ending."
• "I don't know what's the bigger hoax, Manti Te'o relationship or the fact that Notre Dame was ranked #1."
And finally this one from Seth Meyers (at least we think it's Seth Meyers): "These Te'o jokes are all very funny but let's all try and remember that a person who never existed is dead."
OK, with all this talk of hoaxes, let's talk about something in the world of sports that's concrete and real.
Chip Kelly has spurned offers from the NFL and will be returning to coach at Oregon.
Oh wait, that was last week.