Letter: Recommendations for gun control
Saturday, January 26, 2013
I have children who have children who have children, so this makes me a great grandfather. I'm proud and happy with each of them. Because of this, I'm very unhappy about the tragedy at Newtown, Conn. These victims will now miss out on what were, for me, the best times of my life.
I'm not an expert on guns, but I think I know as much or more than the average person. I was a serial gunner in the Navy during World War II. I went to gunner school at Hollywood, Fla., and trained in all aspects of the 30- and 50-caliber guns. This included the shooting and observing the damage that the guns could do.
So what can be done to keep guns out of the hands of the bad guys?
Here are my suggestions:
• Background checks on buyers of automatic and semi-automatic guns.
• Sell only one gun per adult.
• Buyers take a training class before purchasing a gun of any kind.
• Have a waiting period for all gun purchases of 10 days, at least; 30 days would be better.
• Work to end military-type assault gun sales as soon as possible.