People in business
• Mike Wilmink, a mechanical engineer, has joined Sigma Design. He has a degree from the University of Colorado and will be responsible for research, design and product development. He has experience in the automotive, railroad, semiconductor and aviation industries. Cody Hirn, who has a degree in mechanical engineering from Washington State University, has also joined the company. After assisting in the lab this summer building and testing products, Hirn will move into design and engineering. Sigma Design has also added Alexia Rostow to its staff as a lab technician.
• Leadership Clark County appointed five new members to its volunteer board of directors. Joining the Class of 2013 are: Darcy Altizer, vice president of member services of the Greater Vancouver Chamber of Commerce; Dave Cole, YouthFirst coordinator at Partners in Careers; Michelle Giovannozzi, corporate relations manager at Clark College; Tina Krause, who serves on numerous nonprofit boards; and Mike True, CFO/COO of Fort Vancouver National Trust.
• Shelley Waggoner of Vancouver has joined Southwest Office Systems as a major account supply manager. Waggoner's background includes more than 25 years of industry experience. Southwest Office Systems is a locally owned and operated office automation dealership.
• Jack Hardy has joined Charter as senior manager of field communications. He will be responsible for media relations, external communications and community outreach for Charter's northwest and mountain states markets. Prior to joining charter, Hardy operated his own public relations consulting agency and managed media relations for the Port of Camas-Washougal.
Other business news
• Vancouver-based Beacock Music Company was named 2013 Dealer of the Year by the National Association of Music Merchants at the organization's July 12 awards event in Nashville, Tenn. The award honored Beacock Music for its business practices.
• Riverview Community Bank has been named as one of the Top 50 social media leaders nationwide by the Independent Community Bankers of America. Riverview is the only bank based in Southwest Washington to make the list, and one of two banks headquartered in Washington state.
The Columbian welcomes submissions about Clark County residents or businesses, as well as regional business events. Information must be received by noon of the Tuesday preceding the intended Sunday publication date. Send to email@example.com or fax 360-735-4491. Sales awards are not published.