Fire ruins workshop at residence in Sara area

By Dave Kern, Columbian assistant metro editor

Published:

 

Embers from a burn pile are being blamed for causing a shop fire in the Sara area Monday evening.

About 6 p.m., Fire District 6 was dispatched to smoke at Northwest 172nd Street and 69th Avenue.

Turns out the fire was at 17111 N.W. 69th Ave.

Battalion Chief Todd Iremonger said it was difficult to get to the Ridgefield residence, which is down a one-lane road not far from the Lake River.

Upon arriving, Iremonger said, "The firewood was burning, the arborvitae was burning, the shop was burning.

"It gets in that arborvitae and it burns like a torch. And there were high winds."

Iremonger said the fire was under control in about 20 minutes. He put the loss to the shop at $10,000.

Twenty-one firefighters responded, including from Vancouver Fire and Clark County Fire & Rescue.