Two fathers, two daughters arrested in connection with Battle Ground home invasion robbery

By Patty Hastings, Columbian Social Services, Demographics, Faith



Two father-daughter duos from Vancouver appeared in Clark County Superior Court on Wednesday in connection with a robbery at a home in Battle Ground, where the residents were allegedly bound and beaten.

Charles Sheldon, 41, and his daughter, Hayley Sheldon, 19, and Billy Barnes, 47, and his daughter, Ashley Barnes, 21, were arrested Tuesday on suspicion of first-degree robbery, first-degree burglary and second-degree assault.

On June 5, they allegedly robbed Hayley Sheldon’s boyfriend, Robert Cole, 31, and his roommate James Travis at their home in the 400 block of Southwest 17th Avenue after assaulting them and binding their hands behind their backs.

According to a probable cause affidavit, Charles Sheldon’s ex-wife, Cherise Brinkley, said that a few months ago, he had been planning to retrieve marijuana-growing equipment and items that his daughter had given to Cole.

Hayley Sheldon had petitioned the court for domestic violence protection from Cole, but dismissed the request when they both appeared in court May 2. The pair used to live together.

Just a few days before the robbery, Hayley Sheldon miscarried her and Cole’s child, according to the affidavit.

On June 5, Brinkley, Billy Barnes, Hayley Sheldon and Charles Sheldon, who is dating Ashley Barnes, attended a baseball game together. Hayley Sheldon told Brinkley they were going to Cole’s house to pick up her belongings and “be done with Robert,” the affidavit said

That night, Cole was sleeping on the couch waiting for Hayley Sheldon, Charles Sheldon and Ashley Barnes to come over. Hayley Sheldon was supposed to stay the weekend and pay back $800 she allegedly owed to Cole, the affidavit said.

Travis saw them walking up to the house and unlocked the door, the affidavit said.

Cole woke up to Hayley Sheldon’s voice and to Charles Sheldon standing over him. The affidavit said Cole told investigators that Charles Sheldon began punching him in the face and choked him to the point where he thought he was going to die because he couldn’t breathe. He told them he gouged one of Charles Sheldon’s eyes and bit one of his fingers.

Travis tried to help Cole but was held back by Billy Barnes, who duct-taped Cole’s hands behind his back while Charles Sheldon held him down with a pillow over his head. Travis tried to run to the back of the house to get a shotgun, but Billy Barnes locked him into a choke hold from behind, the affidavit said.

Travis was dragged into the living room with his hands tied behind his back with zip ties, the affidavit said.

The Sheldons and Barneses allegedly took five ballasts, three marijuana grow lamps, five marijuana plants and about 4 to 6 ounces of marijuana, the affidavit said. Cole and Travis are medical marijuana providers.

After the two fathers and two daughters left, Travis freed himself and cut Cole loose with a knife that was left behind.

According to the affidavit, Hayley Sheldon inherited $100,000 about a year ago, some of which she spent on Cole. Cole and Travis told investigators they believed Hayley Sheldon returned to get back the belongings she gave to Cole. Travis had told her a few months ago that if she wanted the items back, she could take them to civil court as they were gifts, the affidavit said.

The four suspects are scheduled to reappear in court June 26.