Prep roundup: Thunder top Camas again, 1-0
Friday, March 15, 2013
The Mountain View and Camas boys soccer teams met for the first time since last season's Class 3A quarterfinal match.
And similar to last May's matchup, the Thunder came out on top.
Will Warne scored on an assist from Fabien Celestian in the first half, and goalkeeper Christian Asivido made it stand up for a 1-0 non-league win for Mountain View.
"Even though it was a preaseason game, it's still a rivalry game for us," Mountain View coach Jeff Brooks said. "After we knocked them out in the quarterfinals last year, I know they were going to come out hard."
Asivido recorded 10 saves in goal for the Thunder.
"Christian stepped up and made a good saves to keep them out," Brooks said.
The teams were rivals last season in the 3A Greater St. Helens League. But this year, Camas is playing in the 4A GSHL.
Stars of the day
• Baseball: Hunter Huddleston belted two home runs and drove in seven runs in Woodland's 24-2 win over Washougal.
• Baseball: Jay Becker went 2 for 4 with a run and RBI as Battle Ground scored two in the bottom of the sixth to beat Columbia River 7-6.
• Baseball: Freshman Cody Seaman and sophomore Jacob Isaacson combined to a throw a five-inning no-hitter as Stevenson swept a doubleheader from Fort Vancouver with an 11-0 win.
• Boys soccer: Chris Hall of Battle Ground had two goals in a 6-0 win over Kelso.
• Boys soccer: Ibrahim Abualia had two goals and an assist at Heritage beat Hudson's Bay 3-2.
• Boys soccer: Mitchell Pinney scored a goal 13 seconds into Hockinson's 2-0 win over Fort Vancouver.
• Boys soccer: Carter Johnson scored two goals as Skyview beat Columbia River 4-0.