7-year-old girl helps family escape fire

By

Published:

 

An Oak Grove, Ore., girl is credited with helping her family escape a house fire.

Alexus Osburn, 7, woke her family when their home filled with smoke at about 2 a.m. Saturday.

The family escaped, and so did their dog, without injury. The girl's father, Bill Osburn, called 911.

The girl says she woke to use the bathroom and saw the smoke, then woke her brother, her father and his girlfriend.

According to firefighters, the fire started in the dryer.

There were no working smoke alarms in the home; Bill Osburn said he had turned them off because he was heating the home with a wood stove.

Damage from the blaze was estimated at $20,000.