Sometimes, it seems, baseball teams could use just a little more rain.
Yeah, sounds strange, right?
Wednesday, there were two league games in the 4A Greater St. Helens League and all three league games were played in the 3A GSHL.
All that rain Tuesday night into Wednesday stopped by noon. Sure, there were showers, but not enough to shut down baseball in the Northwest.
Five teams wished it would have poured all day.
Of course, that means five others did not mind getting cold and a little out of sorts.
Heritage, Union, Columbia River, Mountain View, and Kelso all won blowouts to open league play. The two "closest" games were eight-run margins.
Skyview's game at Camas was the lone postponement of Wednesday's GSHL openers.
Stars of the day
• Baseball: Alex Smith hit a lead-off home run and ended up driving in four runs as Heritage beat Battle Ground 15-7 in a 4A GSHL opener.
• Baseball: Cody Hawken hit a home run and two doubles and drove in five runs in Union's 13-2 win over Evergreen in the 4A GSHL.
• Baseball: Michael McCann hit a home run and drove in three runs in Columbia River's 13-1 win over Prairie in the 3A GSHL.
• Baseball: Andrew Krafve hit a solo home run as Mountain View had an eight-run first inning in 13-3 win over Fort Vancouver in the 3A GSHL.
• Boys soccer: Sean Fierst scored two goals in Evergreen's 4-0 victory over R.A. Long.
• Boys soccer: Luis Marcial scored twice in a 3-1 win for Hudson's Bay over Hockinson.
• Boys soccer: Oswaldo Camarena got the shutout in the net, saving six shots in Fort Vancouver's 1-0 win over Heritage.
• Boys soccer: Washougal's Mauro Gonzalez had two goals and an assist in a 4-2 win over Kelso.
• Boys soccer: Nate Beasley scored twice in Camas' 5-0 win over former league-rival Columbia River.