Alec Chaney broke out of a slump at the perfect time for the Skyview baseball team. Brooks Hanson was clutch all day, too.
That, along with some solid pitching from Mav Yamaguchi and Adam Walker, added up to a 6-2 Skyview victory over Union in a key Class 4A Greater St. Helens League game.
Skyview improved to 2-0 in league, while Union dropped to 2-1, losing for the first time in eight games this season.
Chaney hit a two-out, two-run double to give the Storm a 4-2 lead in the top of the seventh inning. The next batter, Hanson, followed up with another two-run-double for some breathing room.
Hanson also had a two-run double in the fourth inning for the first runs of the game.
"It was kind of a big thing because lately we've been missing the clutch hits," Hanson said.
Chaney came into the game on an 0-for-5 slump with five strikeouts. Then he struck out in the first inning to extend the misery.
He walked and was hit by a pitch on his next two plate appearances, then stepped up with his big hit right over third base to score the go-ahead runs.
"I felt I had to come up big for my team right there," Chaney said. "See the ball, hit the ball."
Yamaguchi and Union starter Jake Hawken each pitched three hitless innings to open the game. The Storm broke through first in the fourth. Union tied it at 2 in the bottom of the sixth on a double from Jack Bauer.
Walker came in to get Skyview out of the jam in the sixth, then ended up with a four-run lead to pitch the bottom of the seventh.
Stars of the day
• GOLF: Jamie Stillwell, Prairie, shot a 1-under-par 35 in a three-team meet at The Cedars, setting a school record for 9 holes. Elise Filuk's 42 led Camas to the victory over the Falcons and Evergreen.
• BOYS SOCCER: Carter Johnson scored on a free kick from the top of the 18-yard box to break a scoreless tie, then scored in the closing seconds as Skyview won 2-0 at Camas to open 4A GSHL league play.
BOYS SOCCER: Chase Majury had a goal and an assist for Ridgefield as the Spudders beat Hockinson 2-1 in the 2A Greater St. Helens League opener. liney liney lineyl in liney lney.
• BASEBALL: Oscar Golberg of Columbia River hit a grand slam and drove in six runs in the Chieftains win over Fort Vancouver.
• SOFTBALL: Irene McGuire struck out six, leading Prairie to a 3-2 win over Skyview.
• BOYS TRACK/FIELD: Marcus Gaylor of Columbia River won the 100, 200, and 400 in a dual against Kelso. His 100 time of 10.75 would be the best in the state at Class 3A.
• GIRLS TRACK/FIELD: Emily Morgan of Columbia River ran the 100 in 12.2 seconds. It is believed to be a school record.
• BASEBALL: Alex Torson pitched six scoreless innings of relief and had an RBI double as Mountain View beat Kelso 1-0.