Alex Smith just missed a no-hitter Wednesday afternoon.
He did not miss getting another shutout, though.
The Heritage pitcher struck out seven in a 4-0 victory over Camas in a Class 4A Greater St. Helens League baseball game.
Reid Conlee got a flare over second base into right field for Camas' only hit of the game -- it came with two outs in the final inning.
A tough way to lose a no-no, but the Timberwolves will take the victory.
"He has pinpoint control. Wherever we call the pitch, he hits the spot," Heritage coach Mitch Ratigan said. "That's two games in a row he's done that."
Smith struck out 10 in a shutout last week over Evergreen, giving him 17 Ks and zero runs in the past 14 innings.
"He's been lights-out," Ratigan said. "We're very proud of the young man."
Smith also went 2 for 3 with a triple and drove in a run for Heritage. Dakota Clevidence and Simon Bos also drove in runs for the Timberwolves, who improved to 3-1 in league play.
Stars of the day
- BASEBALL: Alec Chaney combined with three other pitchers to throw a no-hitter and he belted a three-run homer in Skyview's 9-0 win over Evergreen. Chaney threw the first three innings, and he was followed by Chase Wiger (2 innings pitched), Austin Greene (1 IP) and James Brooks (1 IP).
- BASEBALL: Jay Becker pitched a complete game and went 2 for 4 with two runs as Battle Ground knocked off Union in a 4A GSHL game 8-4.
- BASEBALL: Garrett Lindstrom went 3 for 3 with a grand slam in Prairie's 24-1 win over Fort Vancouver.
- BASEBALL: Sasha Jabusch struck out 10 over seven innings as Kelso handed Columbia River its first league loss of the season, 7-3. Columbia River's Seth Rayburn suffered his first varsity pitching loss.
- SOFTBALL: Colleen Driscroll threw a five-inning on hitter -- one day after throwing a one-hitter -- and went 2 for 3 from the plate as Mountain View beat Ridgefield 13-0.
- SOFTBALL: Savanna Kepner had a two-run single as Wasougal scored five runs in the top of the fifth to beat Columbia River 5-4.
- BOYS SOCCER: Josh Polen scored off an assist by Josh Balsiger as Seton Catholic suffered its first Trico League loss of the season -- a 3-1 setback at White Salmon.