Skyview pitcher Michelle Brincefield struck out 10, and a short-handed Storm team managed to hang on to a 7-6 victory over Columbia River in a non-league softball game Thursday.
Columbia River trailed by five before scoring three unearned runs in the sixth inning. The Chieftains added a run in the bottom of the seventh, but did not get the tying run on base.
Brincefield gave up five hits and two earned runs.
She also drove in a run in Skyview’s three-run fourth inning with a single.
Alexandra Barter had a two-run single in the first inning to get the Storm off to a fast start. Michaela Lee had two hits and drove in a run for Skyview.
Columbia River pitcher Katelyn Costanza took the hard-luck loss. The Chieftains committed six errors, leading to five unearned runs. Costanza struck out seven Skyview batters.
Maggie Harshaw led River’s offense. She drove in two runs and had two hits, including a double.
Stars of the day
- SOFTBALL: Michelle Brincefield of Skyview struck out 10, giving up two earned runs in a 7-6 victory over non-league rival Columbia River. She also drove in a run with a single.
- SOFTBALL: Courtney Shelley of Washougal threw a complete game, striking out five. She also went 3 for 3 and drove in a run in a win over Hudson’s Bay.
- SOCCER: Anthony Dizon of Woodland had two goals and an assist in a 5-1 win over King’s Way.
- SOCCER: Evan Laws of Skyview was in net for the shutout as the Storm beat Evergreen 3-0.
- SOFTBALL: Makayla Lefever of Woodland retired the first 19 batters on her way to a 5-0 victory over Mark Morris. Lefever finished with a one-hitter while allowing no walks and striking out 15.
- SOFTBALL: Kimberly Reed pitched a five-inning no-hitter, striking out nine with no walks in Mountain View’s 13-0 win over Fort Vancouver.
- BOYS SOCCER: Jonathan Zavalla had a goal and an assist in Union’s 3-1 4A GSHL win over Heritage.
- BOYS SOCCER: Conner Thompson and Shawn Marion, Hockinson, had two goals apiece in the Hawks’ 4-0 win over Washougal.
- BASEBALL: Jarred Gomez, Hockinson, was 6 for 7 with two RBI and two runs as the Hawks split a doubleheader with Ridgefield.
- BASEBALL: Nick Martin went 2 for 4 with a double and four RBI, and also pitched into the fifth inning for the win the second game of Ridgefield’s doubleheader spit at Hockinson.
- GIRLS GOLF: Hockinson’s Kelsey Whiles shot a 41 at The Cedars for medalist honors against Mark Morris.
- BOYS TRACK AND FIELD: Grayson Anderson won the 100 meters in 10.89 seconds and won the high jump at 6-foot-6.
- BOYS TRACK AND FIELD: Union’s Micah Merfeld won the javelin (157-9), high jump (6-2) and long jump (20-5).