The Skyview Storm got what they wanted Monday evening: Another opportunity to face Camas.
Skyview beat Battle Ground 7-5 in the semifinals of the Class 4A district softball tournament at Heritage High School, setting up Tuesday’s championship game against Camas.
Madison Anthony went 3 for 4 and Katie Bittner had a two-run single in a four-run third inning to lead the Storm.
The Storm jumped out to the early lead when Emily Dobbin singled, and came home on a double from Anthony. Michelle Brincefield later drove in Anthony with a squeeze play for a 2-0 lead. The advantage grew to 6-0 after the third inning.
Battle Ground’s Mackenzie Sachen blasted a three-run home run in the top of the seventh but that was the end of the Tigers’ rally.
Battle Ground earned the third and final berth to this week’s bi-district tournament with a 3-0 win over Union in the first round of the tournament, played earlier Monday.
Parker Boyd, Kristina Fisher, and Jordan Holmquist combined for the shutout.
Battle Ground is the No. 3 seed from Southwest Washington going into bi-district. Camas, the 4A Greater St. Helens League champion, and Skyview will play for the No. 1 seed at 4 p.m. Tuesday.The bi-district tournament is Friday and Saturday in Tacoma. Teams surviving bi-district advance to the Class 4A state tournament in Spokane.
Stars of the day
• SOFTBALL: Sam Rice was 2 for 4 with a double, home run and three RBI in Ridgefield’s 7-5 loss to R.A. Long in the 2A Greater St. Helens League season finale. R.A. Long’s victory eliminated Washougal from postseason contention.
• SOFTBALL: Makayla Tolmie went 3 for 4 with a double and two-run home run in Hockinson’s season finale 11-4 win over Mark Morris.
• GIRLS TENNIS: Skyview won the district team title as Sammi Hampton took the singles title, and Kristina Metz and Macy Ballew placed second in doubles.
• GIRLS TENNIS: Ridgefield’s Sarah Kaufman defeated R.A. Long’s Reagan Swier 6-3, 6-4 to claim second place at the 2A sub-district tournament and advance to Thursday’s district tournament in Tumwater.
• BOYS GOLF: Mountain View’s Collin Herrema earned medalist honors at the bi-district tournament with a 5-over-par 77 at Gold Mountain Golf Course in Bremerton to earn a spot in the 3A state tournament next week. He will be joined at state by teammate Ryan Yeh who placed fifth with an 82. Mountain View’s Jacob Berg and Taylor Smith previously qualified for state in the fall.