George C. Marshall Elementary School is hosting an open house to celebrate its 50-year anniversary from 4 to 7 p.m. May 30. The school’s address is 6400 MacArthur Blvd.
People with ties to the school — those who attended, worked, volunteered or had a child who attended — are invited to the free, public event featuring memorabilia spanning the school’s 50 years.
George C. Marshall Elementary School opened in September 1943 during World War II to serve the influx of families who moved to Vancouver to work in the Kaiser Shipyards and other related industries. During its first two years, the school held classes in double shifts to accommodate the large student population. That building closed in 1953. A new Marshall Elementary School was built about a mile down the road at its current location.
For information, call the school at 360-313-2400.