NEW YORK -- CBS News admitted Friday it was wrong to trust a "60 Minutes" source who claimed to be at a 2012 attack on the U.S. mission in Benghazi, Libya, and the publisher of the source's book on the incident has halted its publication.
"There are so many people out there who have the potential to deceive a news organization," said Jeffrey Fager, CBS News chairman and "60 Minutes" executive producer, to The Associated Press on Friday. "We do our best and I think we do very well at spotting them. This time, I really feel like one got through."
The correspondent responsible for the Oct. 27 story, Lara Logan, said the newsmagazine would correct its story Sunday. She had interviewed former security contractor Dylan Davies, who claimed he took part in fighting at the mission. His story was quickly doubted, and his credibility crumbled with a New York Times report late Thursday that revealed the FBI said the story Davies gave them didn't match what he told CBS.
"That's when we realized that we no longer had confidence in our source, and that we were wrong to put him on the air, and we apologize to our viewers," Logan said on "CBS: This Morning" on Friday.
With it now unclear where Davies had been, publisher Simon & Schuster said Friday it was withdrawing his book, "The Embassy House: The Explosive Eyewitness Account of the Libyan Embassy Siege by the Soldier Who Was There."
A day after the CBS report, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-S.C., said he would block President Barack Obama's nominees for Federal Reserve chair and Homeland Security chief until the administration allowed survivors of the assault to talk to members of Congress. Graham's office had no immediate comment Friday.