Rapist sentenced to 10 years for sexually abusing girls

He is currently serving 15 years for preying on women




A Vancouver rapist who has preyed on multiple women was sentenced Thursday to 10 years in prison for sexually abusing two girls over a nearly three-year period.

D’Shawn D. Carr, 24, pleaded guilty Sept. 26 in Clark County Superior Court to first-degree attempted child molestation for sexually abusing a relative and her friend between October 2004 and May 2007. Both girls were younger than 8 at the time, according to court documents. Senior Deputy Prosecutor Alan Harvey dismissed charges of seven counts of first-degree child molestation in exchange for Carr’s guilty plea. Harvey said the plea deal spared the victims and their families the ordeal of a trial.

Carr was already serving a 15-year sentence at Washington Corrections Center in Shelton for attacking two women in Hazel Dell.

The 10-year sentence, imposed by Judge Barbara Johnson, will be added to the 15 years he was already serving.

At the end of his prison terms, the Indeterminate Sentencing Review Board will consider whether he will be released. The board could keep him incarcerated for the rest of his life if it finds he is a sexually violent predator.

The victims in the molestation case contacted police about the abuse after Carr had been sentenced for the Hazel Dell attacks. Both girls said Carr had sexually abused them several times, according to court documents.

“He made it clear if they said a word, he would hurt them and their families, so they kept this a secret for years,” the mother of one of the victims said today. They only felt safe to disclose the abuse after he was in prison, she said.

Carr’s attorney, Lisa Toth, said that Carr had an unstable childhood and a history of mental health problems.

“He is trying to develop … coping (skills) and psychological therapy, anything that can help him,” Toth said. “He wants to become a productive member of society.”

Carr was first arrested in 2007 after assaulting a real estate agent with a knife. After serving prison time for that attack, Carr was arrested and charged in August 2010 with abducting a woman at knife point and attempting to rape her as she walked home from a convenience store. He was acquitted of that crime.

Six weeks after his acquittal, he attacked a woman who was walking home from work late Jan. 30, 2011 along Northeast Highway 99 and raped her at knife point in a nearby used car lot.

Three nights later, Carr was caught on surveillance video following a different woman to her car in the parking lot of a Highway 99 supermarket. He forced her inside the vehicle, but she escaped after a Samaritan confronted him.