Left-open wood stove blamed in fire northeast of La Center

By Patty Hastings, Columbian Social Services, Demographics, Faith



Fire investigators believe a wood stove that was left open started a fire at a home under construction northeast of La Center

Smoke and flames were reported at 6:41 a.m. Thursday at 39812 N.E. 94th Ave., which was the site of a fire three years ago.

Firefighters from Clark County Fire District 10 arrived and put out the fire within minutes, Battalion Chief Gordon Brooks said. The fire was contained to the floor of one room, Brooks said, so damage was minimal.

The owner, who lives in a trailer on the property, was rebuilding on the site and was in the process of insulating the new home. The Clark County Fire Marshal’s office has evidence that he fell asleep with the door to the wood stove open, but the exact circumstances of the fire are unknown. Damage to the structure and its contents is estimated at $4,000.

Clark County property records show the house as belonging to Robert Brannfors.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs