Suspect in Tuesday kidnapping appears in court




A man suspected of assaulting, kidnapping and robbing three people early Tuesday in Vancouver appeared today in Clark County Superior Court.

Nicholas M. Loredo, 34, of Vancouver was apprehended late Wednesday in Portland by the Pacific Northwest Violent Offender Task Force after a nearly two-day manhunt.

Loredo faces charges of three counts of first-degree kidnapping, first-degree robbery and second-degree assault at his Oct. 30 arraignment.

Judge Daniel Stahnke held him on $150,000 bail and appointed Vancouver attorney Diane Sweet to defend him.

Tyffanie M. Kuykendall, 33, who is accused as an accomplice in the crimes, also will be arraigned Oct. 30 on similar charges. Kuykendall was released today after posting $50,000 bail.

Loredo is accused of kidnapping two men and one woman early Tuesday inside Kuykendall’s home at 1211 V St. in Vancouver’s Central Park neighborhood.

Kuykendall told police that Loredo told her he just wanted to talk to the victims about some stolen property that belonged to a woman named Leslie Rivard, according to a probable cause affidavit filed in court.

The victims said they drove together early Tuesday to Kuykendall’s home and parked in her driveway, the affidavit says. They said a truck pulled up behind them. Loredo, who was armed with a handgun, opened one of the car’s back doors and ordered the victims out of the car and into the house, the affidavit says. Once inside, Loredo told them to sit on the couch, remove their shoes, empty their pockets and surrender their backpacks, the affidavit says. Kuykendall allegedly assisted him in taking all of the items. The victims said other people also were present.

One of the male victims, age 31, said Loredo punched him in the face and held the handgun to his head, the affidavit says.

“I should (expletive) kill you,” Loredo said to the man, according to the affidavit.

The 17-year-old female victim said Rivard beat her in the face. Then, she was separated from the other two victims and taken by force to Rivard’s house, where she fell asleep, according to the affidavit. Later, she said her captors told her that an Amber Alert had been issued for her and that they were going to return her to Kuykendall’s house, the affidavit says.

The 31-year-old male was able to escape the house and call 911.

The victims said they were held for about two hours. No one was seriously injured.

Kuykendall was arrested at her home Tuesday and gave a recorded statement to Vancouver police detectives.

Police in pursuit of Loredo executed a search warrant Tuesday at a home along Northeast 131st Avenue between 71st and 72nd streets. A standoff began at about 8:30 p.m. and lasted into the wee hours Wednesday morning. It’s unclear how Loredo got away.

Detectives with the Pacific Northwest Violent Offender Task Force, which includes members of the Vancouver Police Department, finally found Loredo late Wednesday near Northeast 82nd Avenue and Northeast Sandy Boulevard in Portland. He was booked into Multnomah County Jail and then transported to Clark County.

Paris Achen: 360-735-4551;;;