Attic fire damages house in Camas

By Mark Bowder, Columbian assistant metro editor

Published:

Updated: October 19, 2013, 8:55 PM

 
House fire

An attic fire damaged a home and displaced a young family in Camas on Saturday, according to the Camas-Washougal Fire Department.

The fire, which was reported about 7:45 p.m. at 2244 S.W. Sixth Ave., appears to have started in a bathroom ventilation fan and spread into the attic, said Camas-Washougal Fire Chief Nick Swinhart.

Most of the damage was in the attic, with limited smoke and water damage to the house and contents below, according to Swinhart. The fire was reported under control at 8:12 p.m.

A couple and their 8-month-old child were displaced by the fire, Swinhart said. Red Cross was dispatched to provide assistance to the family, which had rented the house for the past three years.

The fire remains under investigation, but Swinhart said the bathroom exhaust fan was the most likely cause.

Crews from the Camas-Washougal Fire Department were assisted by the Vancouver Fire Department, Swinhart said.

County property records list the owner as Gregg F. Weakley of Vancouver.