High school fall sports athlete of the week nominees
Nominees for high school fall sports athlete of the week, sponsored by Athletes Corner, for the week ending Oct. 19. Voting will conclude at 8 p.m. Thursday with results published in Friday's Columbian.
• DOMINIK GORECKI, COLUMBIA RIVER TENNIS: Gorecki posted a pair of straight-set victories to help Columbia River finish the regular season 14-0 overall and 8-0 in the 3A GSHL.
• MEGAN LAFOND, UNION VOLLEYBALL: LaFond had a whopping 33 kills along 10 digs and five aces in a win over Skyview, then added 10 kills and five digs in a win over Heritage as Union stayed in first in the 4A GSHL.
• JULIANN REED, CAMAS SWIMMING: Reed nearly missed a couple of state-qualifying times in winning the 50 freestyle (25.28) and 100 freestyle (55.80) in a meet with Evergreen Public Schools program.
• TARYN RIES, RIDGEFIELD SOCCER: Ries had two goals and an assist as the Spudders remained in first place in the 2A GSHL with a 4-0 win over R.A. Long.
• RYAN STURDIVAN, WOODLAND GOLF: Sturdivan shot a 3-under-par 141 for 36 holes to win the 1A district championship at Tumwater Valley Golf Course, leading the Beavers to the team title.
- Dominik Gorecki, Columbia River tennis 16%
- Megan LaFond, Union volleyball 28%
- Juliann Reed, Camas swimming 11%
- Taryn Ries, Ridgefield soccer 32%
- Ryan Sturdivan, Woodland golf 14%
1352 total votes.