Prosecutors review B.G. threat case

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

Updated: September 18, 2013, 10:20 PM

 

Prosecuting attorneys are reviewing the case against a Chief Umtuch Middle School student accused of making a threat that closed six schools in Battle Ground last week.

Battle Ground Police Lt. Roy Butler said that the case against the 13-year-old boy was sent to the Clark County Prosecuting Attorneys Office on Monday.

Kasey Vu, the supervising attorney for the juvenile prosecution unit, said that his office is reviewing the files and that prosecuting attorneys are hoping to make a charging decision within the next few days.

The boy, whose name was not released, is accused of threatening to use explosives against a teacher and Chief Umtuch Middle School on Sept. 11. Battle Ground police received a call regarding a threat at 8:30 p.m. Sept. 10, which Butler said launched the investigation.

The threat closed the middle school and four other public schools that share its campus. It also prompted school officials at Firm Foundation Christian School to cancel school for the day.

Butler said that his agency is recommending that the boy is charged with a felony-level harassment. A standard sentence for a juvenile convicted of that charge includes up to 30 days in juvenile detention, up to 12 months of community supervision, up to 150 hours of community service and a fine of up to $500. The sentence, however, would depend on the juvenile's criminal history, Vu said.