Vancouver rapist moved to Shelton prison

He was sentenced to more than 10 years

By Paris Achen, Columbian courts reporter


photoDevin A. Brown


A Vancouver man who raped an 18-year-old man in an abandoned section of a Hazel Dell motel last year has been moved to the Washington Department of Corrections’ intake facility in Shelton.

Devin A. Brown will be classified and then placed in another prison to serve his 10-year sentence.

Brown, 20, was sentenced March 21 by Clark County Superior Court Judge Robert Lewis to 10 years and 10 months in prison for the rape, but he could be kept in prison for life if the state Indeterminate Sentence Review Board determines he still poses a danger to society.

He pleaded guilty Feb. 12 to second-degree rape and first-degree robbery as part of a plea deal with prosecutors.

During the Dec. 17 incident, Brown approached the victim, who was sitting outside the Walmart store at 9000 N.E. Highway 99, and struck up a conversation. The two had never met, according to court documents.

Brown then told the victim that he had a knife and gun and forced him to walk a dozen blocks south to an abandoned building at the Value Motel, 708 N.E. 78th St.

Once inside the abandoned building, Brown punched the victim in the face several times, knocking him to the ground. Brown threatened to strangle him and then raped him, court documents say. After the rape, Brown kicked the victim in the head and left the scene with the victim’s clothes, phone and backpack, according to court documents. The victim grabbed an empty cardboard box to cover himself and ran outside to seek help, said Clark County Senior Deputy Prosecutor Kasey Vu.

Wearing the box, the victim flagged down a sheriff’s deputy inside his patrol car. Within minutes, deputies found and arrested Brown, who was hiding behind a dumpster near the motel, according to court documents.

The victim suffered multiple injuries from the attack, none of which were life-threatening. When interviewed by sheriff’s investigators, Brown admitted to the rape, court documents say. He said he took the victim’s clothes in order to have more time to evade the authorities.

Brown originally was charged with first-degree kidnapping, first-degree rape, first-degree robbery and methamphetamine possession. Vu agreed to reduce the charges as part of the plea deal negotiated with Brown’s attorney, Gregg Schile.

The victim and his family gave their approval for the plea bargain because they didn’t want to go to trial, where the victim “would have to relive that terrible December night,” the victim’s mother told Lewis in a written statement she read aloud at Brown’s sentencing.

On the night of the rape, she said, it felt “like the screams would never end.”

“My world stopped,” she said. “My son would possibly never be the same. Today, he looks around when out and about checking to make sure nobody is lurking or following him, and it’s so sad he has to live this way.”

But on the day of the sentencing, she said, she saw him smile while throwing a flying disc with his dad in the family’s yard.

“It’s a smile that I had not seen in several months,” she said. “I pulled into the driveway and sat and cried. But they were happy tears, knowing my son can smile and be happy, knowing this day is going to end with justice that he so richly deserves.”