Battle Ground scored five runs with two outs in the bottom of the fifth inning Monday, then held off a Heritage rally to earn a split of a Class 4A Greater St. Helens League baseball doubleheader.
Heritage won the first game 9-4 behind a complete game from Zach Bocanegra. Battle Ground won the second game 9-8.
After two outs with no one on base in the fourth inning of the second game, the Tigers scored five times with help from three Timberwolves errors. A three-run sixth inning got Heritage within a run and the Timberwolves loaded the bases in the seventh but didn’t score.
In the opener, Heritage scored seven runs over its final two turns at bat and earned its first league win. Cole Foley went 3 for 4 and Brandon Hoke hit a bases-loaded triple.
Battle Ground’s Hayden Humphrey hit a two-run homer in the second game.
Stars of the day
- Dalaney Tuholski, Heritage softball, went 3 for 5 with two doubles and drove in three runs as the Timberwolves rallied from a six-run deficit to beat Columbia River 7-6 in extra innings.
- Taylor Rennaker, Hockinson baseball, went 3 for 3, drove in four runs, and stole three bases in a win over Washougal.
- Seth Rayburn, Columbia River baseball, struck out nine in win over Prairie.
- Jessica Alcomendas and Kimmi Reed, Mountain View softball, each hit home runs in a win over Evergreen.
- Will Noce-Sheldon, Seton Catholic soccer, scored two goals in a win over La Center.
- Keaton Wilbanks, La Center baseball, was 8 for 9 with a home run and six RBI as the Wildcats swept a doubleheader from White Salmon.