This Thai salad is a perfect one-dish summer dinner with a delicate blend of herbs and spices. On a trip to Bangkok, I tasted a salad with a delicate blend of fresh herbs and fruit. Thai food is spicy. The heat can vary. This is a mild version, but you can add as much as you like.
Toasted sesame oil can be found in most supermarkets. I prefer its more intense sesame flavor.
Steamed Chinese noodles can be found in the refrigerated section of the produce department. Dried Chinese noodles or angel hair pasta can be used.
Fred Tasker’s wine suggestion: Shrimp with delicate herbs would be nicely matched by a white sauvignon blanc.
• Slice garlic and onion in a food processor fitted with a thin slicing blade.
• A quick way to chop cilantro is to snip the leaves with a scissors.
• Olive or canola oil can be used in place of sesame oil.
• Place water for noodles on to boil.
• Make lime dressing.
• Complete Thai Salad recipe.
• Cook noodles.
This meal contains 514 calories per serving with 26 percent of calories from fat.
Here are the ingredients you’ll need for tonight’s Dinner in Minutes.
• To buy: 3 limes, 1 small package fresh strawberries (3 ounces needed), 1 small bunch red seedless grapes (3 ounces needed), 1 small bunch cilantro,¾ pound medium-size cooked shrimp, 1 bottle hot pepper sauce, 1 small bottle toasted sesame oil, 1 small package dry roasted unsalted peanuts, 1 small can sliced water chestnuts, 1 small package steamed Chinese noodles or dried Chinese noodles and 1 small bottle reduced-salt soy sauce.
• Staples: sugar, garlic, red onion and salt.
Herb-spiced Thai Salad
Makes 2 servings.
1 teaspoon sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
Several drops hot pepper sauce
1/2 pound medium or small cooked shrimp
3 teaspoons toasted sesame oil, divided use
2 garlic cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
1/4 cup thinly sliced red onion
2 tablespoons dry roasted, unsalted peanuts
1/2 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup red seedless grapes
1/2 cup drained, sliced, canned water chestnuts
1/4 pound steamed Chinese noodles or angel hair pasta
1 tablespoon reduced salt soy sauce
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Place water for noodles on to boil.
Stir sugar, salt and lime juice together in a large bowl to dissolve the sugar. Add several drops hot pepper sauce. Add shrimp to lime juice dressing. Toss well and set aside.
Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and peanuts and saute 2 minutes or until golden, not brown.
Add the strawberries, grapes and water chestnuts to the shrimp and toss together.
When the water boils, add the noodles and boil 2 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain. Mix soy sauce and remaining 2 teaspoons sesame oil together and add to the noodles. Toss to coat noodles. Divide noodles between 2 dinner plates and spoon salad on top. Spoon garlic, onion and peanuts on the salad and sprinkle cilantro over top.
Per serving: 514 calories (25 percent from fat), 14.7 g fat (2.4 g saturated, 5.8 g monounsaturated), 232 mg cholesterol, 35.1 g protein, 63.7 g carbohydrates, 5.4 g fiber, 711 mg sodium.