Kitchen fire causes $100,000 in damage

Fire started after stove burner was left unattended

By Patty Hastings, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

 

An accidental fire sparked by an unattended stove burner caused more than $100,000 worth of damage to a house in Clark County's East Minnehaha neighborhood.

A neighbor reported the fire at 5802 N.E. 51st St., just north of state Highway 500, around 4:10 p.m. after hearing the smoke alarm go off. Firefighters with the Vancouver Fire Department quickly doused the flames, which were in the kitchen of the single-story ranch-style house, said Capt. John Jacobson. The residents inadvertently left the electric-coil stove top turned on before leaving the house, according to the Clark County Fire Marshal's Office.

The kitchen and attic were damaged. Light smoke damage throughout the house contributed to an estimated $76,000 in damage to belongings. The damage to the structure was calculated at $29,000, the fire marshal's office said.

The fire displaced two adults, according to the Red Cross.

Unattended burners are one of the most common causes of residential fires.