Woman displaced after small kitchen fire in Vancouver duplex

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

 

A woman was displaced after a small kitchen fire in a unit of a Vancouver duplex that was reported just after midnight Wednesday.

The Vancouver Fire Department was called to 2115 Carlson Road at 12:09 a.m. Thursday and arriving firefighters found light smoke coming from the duplex, said Battalion Chief Chris Lines.

Firefighters quickly doused the fire in the kitchen that caused a small amount of damage, he said.

Though the resident initially told firefighters she would stay with a family member, the American Red Cross responded and provided lodging, food, a comfort kit and information about mental health and disaster services.

Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli said the damage from the blaze was an estimated $140,000 and was caused by either the occupant leaving the rear heating element of the stove on or was a malfunction.