Man accused of assaulting Vancouver officer, police dog




A Vancouver man wanted for violating a court order to have no contact with his ex-girlfriend is accused of assaulting a police K-9 and his handler during a confrontation with police late Tuesday.

Michael D. Hayes, 27, appeared Thursday in Clark County Superior Court on suspicion of first-degree burglary domestic violence, third-degree assault of an officer, harming a police dog and violation of a protection order.

He is accused of forcing his way into his ex-girlfriend’s apartment and ignoring her requests for him to leave. When she called police, he allegedly attacked a Vancouver police officer and the officer’s K-9.

Judge Suzan Clark held Hayes in Clark County Jail in lieu of $80,000 bail and appointed Vancouver attorney Jeff Barrar to defend him. He’s scheduled to be arraigned Sept. 11 on the charges.

Police responded at 11:11 p.m. Tuesday to the ex-girlfriend’s home in the Autumn Park Apartments, 13213 S.E. Seventh St. The 26-year-old woman stated that an intoxicated Hayes was inside her apartment without her permission, according to court documents. A records search showed that a judge had ordered Hayes to have no contact with the woman.

“He remained in the apartment despite her telling him he was not welcome there,” Vancouver police Officer Andrew Klaetsch wrote in a court affidavit. “She then called 911.”

When police arrived at the apartment to arrest him, Hayes grabbed Vancouver police Officer Roger Evans’ K-9, Eron, court documents say. He allegedly picked up the German shepherd and threw him across the room. When Eron re-engaged, trying to bite Hayes, the suspect punched the dog in the left side with a closed fist, court documents say.

“After getting thrown against the wall, he got back up and continued to engage the suspect as Hayes continued to resist arrest,” said Vancouver police spokeswoman Kim Kapp.

Hayes also grabbed Evans by his body armor and punched Evans in the face, according to court documents.

5 stitches needed

Eron received minor injuries during the confrontation, including bruising and tenderness where Hayes punched him, Kapp said. Evans had minor injuries to his face and hand. The hand injury required five stitches, Kapp said.

Clark County District Court Judge Kelli Osler issued the no-contact order in May 2013 when Hayes was accused of breaking a closet door in the ex-girlfriend’s home. He pleaded guilty in June 2013 to third-degree malicious mischief domestic violence, and the judge issued a new post-conviction no-contact order to protect the ex-girlfriend, according to court documents.

This was not the first time Evans had to see one of his dogs harmed in the line of duty. His 5-year-old K-9, Dakota, was shot and killed during a confrontation with a suspect in 2007. Ronald J. Chenette, who had been diagnosed in 2000 with paranoid schizophrenia, received a life sentence for killing Dakota because it was his third offense under the state’s “three strikes” law. The law condemns felons to life in prison for three violent crimes.

During Chenette’s trial, Evans lost his composure on the stand when a prosecutor showed him a photo of Dakota, according to The Columbian’s archives.

Dakota is the namesake for Dakota Memorial Dog Park at Vancouver’s Pacific Community Park.