Shumway house fire is contained to a bedroom

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

 

Vancouver firefighters quickly doused a fire in a bedroom of a Shumway neighborhood house Monday evening, saving the structure from being destroyed.

When firefighters arrived at 3415 G St. shortly after 7:20 p.m., they found "fire fully engulfed one room and threatening the structure," said Battalion Chief Dave Seabrook. "We were able to hold it and put it out before it destroyed the entire house."

A man living in the house was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation.

The damage was contained to the room and its contents. The man refused assistance from the American Red Cross, Seabrook said.

Eighteen firefighters from the Vancouver Fire Department doused the blaze, with assistance from three firefighters from Clark County Fire District 6.