SAO PAULO (AP) — FIFA Secretary General Jerome Valcke says he doesn’t expect the World Cup opener in Sao Paulo to be affected by the construction delays at the stadium where a crane collapse killed two workers last year.
Valcke visited the Itaquerao stadium Monday to begin FIFA’s first inspection tour of the year before June’s World Cup, saying “we will do all that we can” to make sure the opener is successful.
He said he was satisfied with the work at the venue and expects there will be enough time for test events after its completion in April.
The Itaquerao made headlines in November after a crane collapsed while hoisting a 500-ton roofing structure, killing two workers and causing significant construction delays.
The World Cup begins June 12 with Brazil playing Croatia.