Open forum, Jan 27-Feb 2

Comments

This should prove to be an interesting legislative session. Looks like there's going to be some push back against the WA State Supreme Court over that education funding ruling. From today's article, it sounds as though the argument is that the Court overstepped its boundaries by dictating budgetary requirements, especially as they're not staffed to perform a competent analysis.

Interesting. Our problem is that Olympia wants to do a lot more than we're willing (or able) to pay for. Income tax and sales tax? How many states have both?

roger — January 27, 2014 at 6:46 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Good question, roger. It piqued my curiosity. Found a clickable map with tax info by state that also includes other taxes of interest to retirees (taxes on retirement benefits; death taxes, etc)

manthou — January 27, 2014 at 7:20 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I've been asleep at the wheel, distracted by the goings-on at Clark County.

Did anyone else here know that Vancouver is in the process of reviewing its charter, too?

I watched the first meeting of these 15 citizens last night. They had to apply for the honor. No Columbian article on the application process or first meeting. What gives?

manthou — January 27, 2014 at 7:28 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou @ 7:28

I had forgotten it was coming up again, but think the charter is reviewed every few years. I recognize a couple names but have no idea how any of them are selected when they do apply. Thanks for the heads-up; already bookmarked.

jacjak — January 27, 2014 at 10:28 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Ty Stober ran for the Council. I sat in my neighbor's front yard and shot the breeze with him for 1/2 hour or so. He had gone to my house, but I was across the street swilling beer and telling lies.

Drift — January 27, 2014 at 11:19 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Those wacky tea party kids are at it again;

PHOENIX (AP) - The Arizona Republican Party formally censured Sen. John McCain on Saturday, citing a voting record they say is insufficiently conservative.
The resolution to censure McCain was approved by a voice-vote during a meeting of state committee members in Tempe, state party spokesman Tim Sifert said. It needed signatures from at least 20 percent of state committee members to reach the floor for debate.
Sifert said no further action was expected.
McCain spokesman Brian Rogers declined to comment on the censure. But former three-term Sen. Jon Kyl told The Arizona Republic (http://bit.ly/1mIyKyy) that the move was "wacky."
"I've gone to dozens of these meetings and every now and then some wacky resolution gets passed," Kyl told the newspaper on Saturday. "But most people realize it does not represent the majority of the vast numbers of Republicans."
Kyl also said McCain's voting record was "very conservative."

Hawkman — January 27, 2014 at 12:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — January 26, 2014 at 3:41 p.m.

Glad you enjoyed it! What wily ways will Frank Underwood have up his sleeve this season?

My wife and I binge watch sometimes also. Last year we got through the X-FILES. Maybe the best show ever!

___

(haven't seen goldenoldie stop by for awhile. I wonder how she's doing? Hmmm..)
Gee. I have a stuffed zucchini ready for the oven. Anyone have any ideas???

nailingit — January 27, 2014 at 3:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nail what is the zucchini stuffed with? I believe I am having stuffed chicken breast. Stuffed with mushrooms and cheese.

timerick — January 27, 2014 at 4:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal

.....chestnuts?

nailingit — January 27, 2014 at 5:16 p.m. ( | suggest removal

-Obama Not Ruling Out U.S. Military Action In Congress-

WASHINGTON—Following years of continued fighting and disorder in the troubled region, President Barack Obama revealed today that he has not ruled out taking immediate and decisive military action in the United States Congress.

Admitting that diplomatic outreach efforts in the area have so far proven unsuccessful, the president claimed that his administration is weighing the feasibility of committing combat troops to both the U.S. Senate and the House of Representatives in order to bring lasting peace and stability to the chaos-afflicted legislature.

“We have not yet made a decision as to how we are going to address this rapidly deteriorating situation, but at this point I can tell you that military action is indeed on the table,” Obama told reporters at a morning press conference, emphasizing that he is “deeply troubled” by the escalating hostilities and diminishing prospects for unity on the Congressional floor. “Clearly, sending our young men and women into this tumultuous war zone is not ideal, and I still hope to resolve the situation through peaceful means. But as the conflict continues to worsen, it becomes increasingly evident that the deployment of our armed forces may be our only real option.”

Military officials say an intervention in Congress would likely involve a three-pronged attack.
“We cannot stand idly by and allow this senseless mayhem to continue,” the president continued.

According to international observers, the United States Capitol ranks as among the most turbulent and unstable regions in the world, dominated by warring factions of rogue lawmakers who have shown neither the ability nor the willingness to peacefully resolve their differences.

As conditions worsen by the day, the president confirmed to reporters that he and his military advisors are currently evaluating the merits of a military option, suggesting that his administration has left open the possibility of toppling the hostile, unpredictable leadership currently reigning over the legislative assembly and restoring order to the Capitol building.

Read More @ http://www.theonion.com/articles/obama-not-ruling-out-us-military-action-in-congres,34946/

nailingit — January 27, 2014 at 5:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — January 27, 2014 at 5:46 p.m.

Dick Cheney plays a trump card.

In response to President Obama's intended declaration of war on Congress, Dick Cheney called an emergency session of the Association of Military Contractors. Flanked by his associates from Halliburton and KBR, and joined by Erik Prince (Frontier Services Group nee Academi nee Xe Services nee Blackwater) in full tactical dress, the membership was quickly convinced to accede to his demand for a total boycott of the US military services. All personnel were to be furloughed and ordered to leave their job sites immediately; any who failed to comply were to be terminated. (Prince smiled broadly at this statement, while patting the holster on his hip.)

The impact was immediate. Chairman of the Joint Chiefs General Dempsey had to excuse himself from the emergency meeting of senior Presidential advisors to answer his secure cell phone calls from the service chiefs. On return, he announced "Boss, it doesn't look good. Those damned civilians all walked off the job, and we don't have enough uniforms who know how to get the planes flying and the tanks rolling."

President Obama would not be deterred. Putting on his most severe Pattonesque countenance, he began - ""Men, this stuff that some sources sling around about America wanting out of this war, not wanting to fight, is a crock of bullshit. Americans love to fight, traditionally. All real Americans love the sting and clash of battle. You are here...."

General Dempsey interrupted - "But Boss! You can't ask the troops to move out on an empty stomach! America would be horrified to hear you treated them so harshly!"

Pres Obama - "You're right, Tom - Good call. They can leave after breakfast."

Gen Dempsey - "Sir, there is no breakfast to be had. The mess hall civilians aren't there to cook."

Pres Obama - "Damn!!!" Turning to his Chief of Staff, he said - "Denis, get hold of old Boner -- No, wait!!! -- That's Mr. Speaker Boehner, and use 'Sir' liberally. Ask him if he'd be gracious enough to join me at Old Ebbitt Grill for lunch and a beer - My treat. Maybe I can get him buzzed enough to give us good surrender terms."

Cut away to Boehner's office and the termination of that phone call. Dick Cheney is standing there, smiling broadly. "That's another one you owe me, Bonehead!" Boehner responds -- "Damn it, Dick, I had to put up with that crap with GDub and his blanking nicknames, but can you please let it rest?"

(Fade to closing credits)

roger — January 27, 2014 at 7:08 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — January 27, 2014 at 7:08 p.m.

LOL!

nailingit — January 27, 2014 at 7:39 p.m. ( | suggest removal

You two are funny. Maybe nuts kind of funny. Roger you and Nail need to run for some sort of office. I will try to think of where you both belong.

timerick — January 27, 2014 at 7:53 p.m. ( | suggest removal

“A good song reminds us what we're fighting for.”
― Pete Seeger

Rest in Peace, Pete. You've earned your eternal nap.

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 4:58 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Doin' gubment his way: David Madore takes his East County Bridge Dream to Gresham.

According to his newest FB posting:

"I met with a representative of Gresham today to introduce them to the proposed East County Bridge and invite their feedback. Thus far, they supported the CRC project and are interested to see if the Oregon Legislature approves or kills it this session (from Feb 3 – March 9)."

Who is the rep, David?

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 5:31 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 5:31 a.m.

So what's the deal here? David's building his own bridge and he's going to let everybody use it for free? Must be nice to be rich, I didn't know those Commissioners made that kind of dough, or had that kind of power in the state.

Hawkman — January 28, 2014 at 6:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal

A fun read.

-My personal Fox News nightmare: Inside a month of self-induced torture-

I'm a card-carrying member of the ACLU. Here's what happened when I watched 3 hours of Fox every day for a month

Thus, on October 1, 2013, I sat down on my couch and, armed with nothing but a remote, vowed to consume three hours of Fox News programming a day for an entire month, while strictly abstaining from any other sources of information about current events. I couldn’t sample all of Fox’s wares, of course, but after looking at their lineup, I chose three shows to concentrate on—Fox & Friends, because it seemed like it might be representative of the network’s populist, aw-shucks conservatism; Shep Smith’s News Hour, because Smith has a reputation as being the straightest shooter of the Fox anchors; and, of course, the network’s browbeater-in-chief, Bill O’Reilly.

Fox is a network founded on outrage. There is a constant barrage of stories of righteous people wronged by the forces of evil, usually in the form of government. A cheerleading squad was forced to terminate its fundraising carwash because of water pollution concerns, a school board asked teachers to stop forcing their children to sing overtly Christian carols, there is an increasing level of anti-Christian rhetoric in the military (Fox is also, by the way, a very Christian network)—the list of abuses perpetrated on the hard-working patriots of this country seems never-ending.

I will admit that I too am something of an outrage addict. I find myself drawn to web sites and stories that will stoke my ideas that there is a great right-wing cabal out there attempting to destroy the American way of life. In a way, I suppose my beliefs are just a mirror image of those flogged endlessly on Fox.

But in the end, I am not a Fox viewer. To the Fox audience, I fear that I am one of “them” rather than one of “us.” And unable to join them in their self-righteous, unifying anger, Fox News left me behind.

Read More @ http://www.salon.com/2014/01/28/my_personal_fox_news_nightmare_inside_a_month_of_self_induced_torture/

nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 7:56 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit: I read that this morning, too!

As a follow-up, here is another recent FOX analysis by David Frum. It includes a revealing quote:

"Viewers don't want to be informed. Viewers want to feel informed."
Those are the words of Chet Collier, one of the founders of Fox News…

FOX is more social media than journalism:

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 8:22 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou- Good article. I used to think Fox unfairly tipped the scales in our political process. Now that it's been exposed so much it's become little more than satire. Kinda like Onion News, only at times more humorous.

Even though Frum might have an agenda, it's good to see a republican hold Fox News somewhat accountable while explaining their demographics and why the appeal.

nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 8:57 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Cirque du BOCC up at 10.

On the agenda: yearly dues to RTC. This will be a chance for Mielke and Madore to de-fund Clark County's participation in it.

Rumors that Benton and Mielke were overheard discussing the benefits of cutting this partnership loose have been batted about recently.

Let's see what happens.

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 9:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Clark County is paying citizen Ed Ruttledge over $4800 to settle his FOIA records complaint.

Stephanie Rice says the story is coming tonight or tomorrow.

:)))))

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 9:57 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Madore singing Benton's praises. Mielke actually reading excerpts from his performance evaluation. Says he will read another paragraph next week.

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 10:36 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Always so much to read... this one is fairly straight forward, imo.

jacjak — January 28, 2014 at 1:11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak: I enjoyed reading Annie Leonard's opinion you posted.

I have been looking for any community whose government hasn't been sabotaged by extremists wanting to shut it down. Interestingly, Dubuque, IA has received many, many awards because it has risen from the ashes triumphant and healthy, not burned to a hopeless crisp. Go figure. Dubuque.

Vancouver City Council did a good job last night of approving all items, adding new goals, without a lot of angst and opposition. There's hope.

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 2 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Everyone all excited for the State Of The Union Address at 6:00?

I'll put the coffee on...

nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 5:35 p.m. ( | suggest removal

You Lie!

-Ahead Of State Of The Union, Progressives Brace For Disappointment On Trade Policy-

nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 5:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nail I know you like our President, but I think I will have a glass of Merlot. I am sorry I don't share your feelings for him. I just am not able to see how he has been effective in what he has tried to do. Most things have fell far short of his endeavors. In my mind he has a problem with taking responsibility for the mistakes he has made and for the poor choice of some of his people. When you are the leader of a great nation like ours you can not make these kind of mistakes. Just my thoughts and I will live with what ever takes place until we can change things.

timerick — January 28, 2014 at 6:06 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Watching with my glass of Merlot, timerick. Good to be thinking of something else besides the local issues.

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 6:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick — January 28, 2014 at 6:06 p.m.

I don't know how I'd sum up my feelings for Obama, Tim. I do find myself being more critical than not.

One man's mistake is another man's victory I suppose.

I do remember what a mess we were in just a few short years ago...

The messes this administration had to clean up was like no other.

From the wars to the economy to Bin Laden to border control to spending to....so much.

nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 6:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 8:22 a.m.
nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 8:57 a.m.

Is MSNBC any better than FOX? Or perhaps it's just that the bias of their TV show hosts is more palatable because it's a shared one?

roger — January 28, 2014 at 7:12 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: MSNBC is biased, of course. But they do a better job with accuracy and truth. :) I still prefer Al Jazeera over them all. Watch it over a week and see if you don't agree.

Good speech tonight. I hope Congress helps the President get some of these noble goals met.

Cathy McMorris Rogers up next. Our own gal.

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 7:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

So far, Ms. McMorris Rogers seems forced warm. I feel sorry for her. What an act to follow.

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 7:34 p.m. ( | suggest removal

NPR had a segment this AM on Morning Edition that stated there were 41 things the President asked of Congress in the last State of the Union. They did exactly 2...the reauthoriation of the Violence Against Women Act and not shutting down the government (again). And to think they have enough nerve to label him as 'imperialistic'. As someone who's only job is to sign or veto the bills Congress passes, I'd say accusations and finger pointing for inertia and mistakes in governing has many faces. Couple that with a HUGE dose of partisanship, bias, high handedness, and distorted or false statements and accusations, I can only conclude the dice have been loaded. Yet the game goes on.

On the other hand, had Obama closed Guantanamo and/or dealt a death knell to the overreach of the Patriot Act instead of renewing it, they'd not be able to stop the parade no matter what they said or how poorly they did their well paid jobs.

jacjak — January 28, 2014 at 7:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — January 28, 2014 at 7:42 p.m.

Gitmo will not be closed for a very long time. The problems are many. We need a place to put those terrorists that is secure, and it ain't on the mainland unless we build something or re-open a base out in the middle of nowhere. Still, it will be less than secure. I have yet to hear from anybody who has a reasonable plan to close Guantanamo and that includes Boehner.

Hawkman — January 28, 2014 at 8:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Things I liked about his speech: “the son of a barkeep can become the Speaker of the House”.

What I didn’t like: everything else.

Staff Sergeant Cory Remsburg was the shining light of the address.

Cathy McMorris Rodgers sounded too much like Dorothy. I was sure Toto was going to jump up on the couch any second.

kn_dalai — January 28, 2014 at 8:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal

The thing that hits close to me is the use of our wounded soldiers for any political use. It plays on both sides. They should not be used for any political reason. This hits very close for me. Our nephew has asked for nothing other than for the government to take care of him. He lost both legs above the knee and most of his right hand and his groin. He is now working towards a spot on the para olympic's our government has refused their funding. We did it all through donations. It is everyday things like this that need to be addressed.

timerick — January 28, 2014 at 8:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — January 28, 2014 at 7:12 p.m.

"MSNBC is biased, of course. But they do a better job with accuracy and truth." - manthou

My sentiments also.

___

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 7:34 p.m.

The first part of McMorris Rogers rebuttal sounded like a Disney presentation. Flashbacks of 'It's A Small World After All' are still haunting me as I type.

The second part sounded like a re-elect effort. Her family, background, resume', God fearing, aw shucks I'm the American dream stuff.

All in all, another entertaining response from the GOP. Maybe a little quirkier than Jindal's, but not nearly as hilarious as Rubio's.

nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 8:44 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, here's a good sign. Ford is giving it's AMERICAN workers a $9000 bonus for their share in profit sharing. Now THAT'S how you treat your employees.

Hawkman — January 28, 2014 at 9:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

///The best of the worst: Right-wing Twitter reacts to the State of the Union///

-According to the right, Obama's a socialist, a communist, a dictator — and he lost the Iraq War, too-

President Obama gave his fifth State of the Union address on Tuesday night. He touched on lots of topics, from raising the minimum wage to funding universal pre-k to removing troops from Afghanistan to defending Obamacare to, well, a whole lot else.

Although it was the kind of speech pundits are likely to describe as “workmanlike” — or, if they’re more negatively inclined toward the president, “boring” — Twitter’s higher-profile conservative pundits, activists, and politicians nevertheless responded as if the president had set a copy of the Constitution on fire while pledging allegiance to General Mao.

Think I’m exaggerating? Here’s what one Texas congressman, the successor to Ron Paul’s old seat, tweeted before the speech even began:

Randy Weber

@TXRandy14
On floor of house waitin on "Kommandant-In-Chef"... the Socialistic dictator who's been feeding US a line or is it "A-Lying?"
5:09 PM - 28 Jan 2014
927 RETWEETS 237 FAVORITES
Retweet
Favorite

nailingit — January 28, 2014 at 9:19 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 7:29 p.m.

I agree - I've cut out the other two networks and listen to either al Jazeera or CNN. As was emphasized on the two man panel afterward (the Black guy and the White guy - I didn't pay attention to names), everything said by both The Pres and McMRogers was safe and unexciting. Pres Obama threatening to use his executive privilege to bypass Congress will be little more than window dressing without funding.

roger — January 29, 2014 at 5:18 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — January 28, 2014 at 7:34 p.m.

I was reminded of the nice lady who explains things on a children's TV show. If the intent was for the Repubs to connect with the women viewers, I suspect she missed the mark. Most of the women I work with would (I think - haven't, and probably won't, done the straw poll routine) be offended to hear that speech was geared toward them.

roger — January 29, 2014 at 6:05 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — January 28, 2014 at 8:03 p.m.

Gitmo is part of a larger problem we've created. Early on, when we were chasing al Qaeda in Afghanistan, and in the process fighting the Taliban in that country and in Pakistan, some in the Muslim world grumbled, but there was an overall acceptance that we had to strike back against those who were behind the 9/11 attacks. Our movement into Iraq was considered an unwarranted attack on Islam, and the various interrogation operations set up created a hardened group of anti-US radicals who turned to al Qaeda as a unifying force for fighting against us. If we were to release those in Gitmo (many who never really did much of anything in opposition to us), they would be received as heroes and further the anti-US cause.

roger — January 29, 2014 at 6:26 a.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick — January 28, 2014 at 8:38 p.m. -- I would argue that most of those soldiers are probably voluntarily becoming involved in these types of appearances. The days of the average soldier being an uneducated kid who had no other real opportunity are long gone - almost all are high school grads with some college courses, and a high percentage use their military tuition assistance to earn degrees. And a soldier who can think and reason for himself, rather than blindly accept what his leaders tell him, is going to get involved like this. (Now, I've always found Rangers to be hard headed rocks, but that's my own bias - I will say I was surprised to see SFC (not Staff Sergeant) Remsburg there, however.)

roger — January 29, 2014 at 6:39 a.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick: I am glad for your nephew that he has the love and support of a strong family behind him. I wish him well in his para Olympic goals.

As for the use of our wounded veterans to generate political sympathy: their stories are at least heard by millions of Americans. Perhaps they agree to the spectacle with their unheralded brothers and sisters in mind (like your nephew), representing them all proudly. Just a reframe.

manthou — January 29, 2014 at 7:40 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"I agree - I've cut out the other two networks and listen to either al Jazeera or CNN."

roger — January 29, 2014 at 5:18 a.m.

Sounds like you're limiting your news options in your quest to be..ruggedly independent.

What, no more Morning Joe?

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 7:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, as a CRC/LR hopeful supporter, reality keeps chipping away at my confidence that this project will survive the next two months. Maybe it should not.

The Oregonian's Joseph Rose deserves a Pulitzer for his dogged expose of Tri-Met's innards. Now he has documented the Oregon's auditor's report: ugly and embarrassing.

If we ran our small business this way, we'd be out of business.

Well, I have been having fun planning creative building projects on our little slice of downtown Heaven on the proposed and likely dead light rail line. How about an energy-efficient live/work unit that allows us to "age in place" on one small-footprint level? Near the bus line, anyway, when my eyes go. :)

manthou — January 29, 2014 at 7:54 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nail and roger: I agree. That speech was harmful to Cathy McMorris Rogers and the Repubs who sacrificed her.

I kept thinking of Romper Room:

manthou — January 29, 2014 at 8:06 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — January 29, 2014 at 8:06 a.m.

Ya gotta love Romper Room!

I don't know how harmful her speech was. She played right into the over 55 conservative demographic. Strong on emotion, impotent when it comes to details. This is a party that's not only splintered, but lacks the capability to redefine itself in the face of public criticism. This least productive congress in history is fueled by this tax-me-not demographic.

President Obama was short on substance to say the least. When he spoke of passing legislation to ensure homeowners would never again face a housing crisis like we've been through, I turned to my wife and said, "How the @#$% does he do that!" A pretty deep and multi-faceted subject to throw a blanket over I thought.

But substantively, compared to the Republican response, it was like a doctoral thesis v Lifetime movie script.

I found her pause n' chuckle at 7:44 to be the highlight. Creepy! :)

For those who either didn't see it, or those who are into a little self flagellation once in awhile, enjoy.

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 9:27 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 7:51 a.m. --- What, no more Morning Joe?

Something had to go - It was the Forum or Morning Joe.

roger — January 29, 2014 at 12:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

As passed, those new rules have some good provisions. They've basically gone back to the rules being followed in the past, with adequate income means testing, and banning the gimmick ARMs that got a lot of people in trouble. There's also a provision that if a mortgage bank plays by the rules in making a loan, then they'll be protected from lawsuits. It'll be interesting to see how this develops over time - for example, in high cost areas like Wash DC, will we see a gradual transition to where only the very wealthy can afford to buy homes? (Actually, this transition is underway already -

roger — January 29, 2014 at 1:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal

How's the Prosecuting Attorney's office doing?

Four civil attorneys who used to advise the BOCC are going or gone. One criminal attorney is under investigation for misconduct.

I think this is worthy of an interview of Tony Golik, at the very least. How is his office weathering this loss of brains and credibility?

manthou — January 29, 2014 at 2:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — January 29, 2014 at 1:40 p.m.

It sounds like much needed regulation. From what I can tell, new rules went into effect this month.

I was going the ARM route to buy Clark County Republican headquarters and turn it into a combination abortion clinic and gay bar. I might have to rethink it now.

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 3:29 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.

Owwwww, my aching head. Is she the best the Repubs have to offer? I know they couldn't have Boehner up there speaking, he'd probably start crying or something right in the middle and they'd have to drag him off. Oh, and thanks for the heads up on 7:44, I thought she was temporarily possessed or something, spooky.

Hawkman — January 29, 2014 at 3:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 3:29 p.m.

I see you covered all the bases to really p them off, eh?
Where I can I join?

luvithere — January 29, 2014 at 5:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — January 29, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.

I thought the orange man was going to lose it a time or two last night. The 'son of a bar keep made good' hoopla, really gets this guy all teary eyed about himself.

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 8:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere — January 29, 2014 at 5:17 p.m.

And of course medical services and drinks can be purchased with food stamps.

nailingit — January 29, 2014 at 8:05 p.m. ( | suggest removal

-Tea Party’s austerity virus: How Washington lost its fiscal mind-

Thanks to Congress, members of an otherworldly counterculture continue to strangle the American economy

According to the philosopher George Santayana, “Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim.” But what do you call redoubling your effort to pursue the wrong aim?

Answer: Bipartisan budget compromise.

The budget deal recently brokered by Republican Representative Paul Ryan and Democratic Senator Patty Murray was an improvement over the sequester that it partially replaced. The deal prevented $63 billion in scheduled sequester cuts from taking place, beginning with $45 billion in the coming fiscal year. Already, according to the CBO, the sequester and other fiscal tightening might have shaved 1.5 percentage points off U.S. economic growth in 2013 and would depress growth in the years beyond.

So anything that reduces the sequester-mandated cuts is good for the economy. But here’s the catch: absent the recent budget deal, the sequester would have cut $180 billion from the federal budget in the next two fiscal years. That means that the Murray-Ryan deal only reduces the cuts imposed by the sequester by one-third.

Recall that the sequester itself was imposed on Congress by the Tea Party Right in the Republican House. The Tea Party is still the winner—as a result of its budgetary hostage-taking maneuvers, it still gets two-thirds of what it demanded. As Robert Borosage points out: “Adjusted for inflation, total funding in this budget is 10 percent lower than that in George W. Bush’s last budget in 2008.”

Imagine if police hostage negotiations with kidnappers functioned like political hostage negotiations in contemporary Washington, D.C. We might be reading news reports like this:

In a joint press conference today, the kidnapper and the police hostage negotiator announced agreement on a compromise: rather than saw off all five fingers on one hand of the kidnap victim, as threatened, the kidnapper will saw off only two.

“Obviously we would prefer that our negotiating partner not saw off any of the fingers of the hostage he is holding at gunpoint,” the lead police negotiator told the press. “In fact, we would prefer that our negotiating partner free the hostage. But the perfect is the enemy of the good. Let’s be realistic, freedom for the hostage is just not going to happen. And losing two fingers is better than losing a whole hand.”

nailingit — January 30, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. ( | suggest removal

The WA State Senate, now seemingly run by the tea party, has asked a global warming denier to "inform" its members.

Where is someone like Penn State's Michael Mann to provide the peer-reviewed science research?

John Stang from Crosscut provides the best coverage, hands down:

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 8:56 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Speaking of environmental concerns:

This scenario could become reality during public comments time at BoCC meetings. Let's hope they're keeping their fire extinguishers serviced.

-Flatulent cows cause methane explosion at German dairy farm that nearly takes off entire barn roof-

nailingit — January 30, 2014 at 9:44 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit: Ha, ha, ha! Better reinforce the roofs of all government buildings!

On a serious note: most of our legislators have no training in scientific method and ways to evaluate the merits of scientific research. Ideology and emotion trump facts.

The WA legislature will be at an impasse for the entire session. Maybe the roof will blow off and wake everyone up.

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 9:53 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou- I know it's not his expertise, but a part of me wishes Moeller would take on a Turley induced environment debate.

MoeJo could bone up on the subject before debating.

(something didn't sound quite right with that)

Or better yet, who's more qualified than our very own illustrious environmental director, Teflon Don Benton?

nailingit — January 30, 2014 at 10:09 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Oh, let's push for Benton. Make him earn some of that $114,000 salary.

He is hiding behind his staff, using them as a cognitive shield so that his lack of wisdom and experience is less noticed.

As if.

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 10:19 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Opinions, please.

The Columbian's editorial today encourages the WA legislature to revive the CRC. However, this time, they urge dropping the LR component.

Do you think this compromise endorsement has anything to do with the Tri-Met audit that was just published?

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 11:03 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I just thought I would post a conservative view of the Prez state of the Union speech. While some of you all thought his speech lacked substance, at least I didn't hear him lying for a change. He did however stick his finger up every Rep Butt. I have the Pen and I will use it as I feel. Now that's what he has been doing since he took office. And his Condescending Face.. I guess it wasn't Orange though.. And we continue to denigrate. Just shows some people are so Trite.
My Take

The presidents speech was painful to watch in many ways. It was a speech he had to give "state of the union" but didn't want to give, just because he had too.It's too bad that after the speech he can't go to the press room and answer questions from the "uncontrolled media". Great timing for the key architech of Obamacare to walk away today as well.
I like how his administration is touting how low the unemployment numbers are. When in fact more people quit looking for work than were employed last month. The "NEW" calculation for UE % is rediculous...The real number should be 10.3% if those who quit looking were actually counted like they used to be. He still hasn't addressed energy Pricing especially gas prices. Which are now more than double today than when he came into office..

Back on Obamacare.. How many have signed up..Lets say 2.5 mil. 2 million are getting it basically free and would have anyway just by getting enrolled. Only 500K actually paying customers...I like it when they come out and say we had a great week, we signed up 3,700 more through the website... That's a kin to filling up a swimming by Pi$$ing in it.. I also watched CNN that night after the address and I can't remember the guys name but he kept saying no one was kicked off there plan nor not able to keep there current doctor.. Wow is it.. Just thought I would stopp by and remind all you Dems and libs, because that's all that's left down here anyway.... Keep your eyes & ears open and you never know what you might hear or see. Take care all. Been too busy signing up folks with OC lately. Now have to shred all the apps.. Wow did we waste allott of paper the past 3 month's.

vanwadreamer — January 30, 2014 at 2:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Sometime back there was a discussion in the forum of hemp and it's uses and making jobs. Someone's been listening...

jacjak — January 30, 2014 at 3:06 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Will climate scientist Michael Mann's pending lawsuit shutter The National Review?

Maybe, if the NR does not settle.

It is a HUGE victory that the judge allowed the suit to jump the SLAPP criteria. Not many defamation cases are meritorious enough to do so. This could be precedent-setting and could send a strong message to those who want to defame respected scientists, as a way to muzzle their research. Too bad The National Review allowed itself to be co-opted by a clown blogger:

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 5:25 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 11:03 a.m.,

I'm thinking that TriMet audit - especially the part about the high rate of lateness of general preventive maintenance for MAX, due to not having the funding to fill empty positions - had to have struck home. We would be paying $3-4 million per year for the O&M;, and while the funds would be fenced for our portion, we would control the assets and how/when used.

Oregon Senate Leader has been quite adamant that the Oregon alone CRC isn't going to get through the Senate. He's insisted our own legislature has to get on board for anything to pass. And he's also saying an end run by the two Govs to bypass the legislatures and proceeding through DOT agreements isn't going to stand up to a legal review.

Perhaps were seeing the development of a rift in the Identity crowd, with some moving to the position that a new bridge without all the extras is better than nothing?

roger — January 30, 2014 at 5:34 p.m. ( | suggest removal

There was a time when The National Review was a good read - it provided insight into the conservative viewpoint, and sometimes made a lot of sense. But somewhere around the mid '90s they got caught up with the "We Hate Bill and Hillary" crowd mentality, and morphed into just another worthless rag.

roger — January 30, 2014 at 5:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: I used to read The National Review, too, when William F Buckley was at the helm. It offered the conservative point of view in a compelling and educated way. They are in deep doodoo with this pending lawsuit. My guess is that they will file for bankruptcy before it goes to trial.

The Tri-Met audit could not have come at a more fortuitous time. I don't think our state Senate will cough up any money even if light rail is dropped. We still have that 502 bridge and boring Bertha to worry about. Courtney is right: this cannot be a one-state project.

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 7:27 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Tyler Graf tweeted a bit during the BOCC retreat today. My favorite one is this:

Stuart: "Can we still afford the fee holiday?" County's budget guy, Bob Stevens: "No, I don't think we can."

Graf says that no one responded to that, but he intends to interview the commissioners to follow up. Also not good news for funding more deputies per the sheriff's wish list.

manthou — January 30, 2014 at 7:33 p.m. ( | suggest removal

The Charleston Daily Mail sells its web address to the London Daily Mail. For a price.

Is there a London Columbian?

manthou — January 31, 2014 at 7:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Be sure to put your hip waders on before checking this out.

If Madore is "the champion of free speech" , how come he bans everyone that disagrees with him from his FB page?

Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 8:47 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk: I just finished watching the video in its entirety.

Impressions:

Madore commandeered that interview in the first minute and dominated the attention throughout. Leavitt was an observer more than participant.

Madore is a master at impression management and grooming. Underneath that smile, what is he hiding?

Lou made an important point early on, just as I was writing the same thing in a notebook for later review: people's actions don't always match their rhetoric (and smile).

Madore is smooth and cool as an icy lake in winter. Be careful if you dare to step on its seemingly solid surface: underneath, it is treacherous and sinister.

manthou — February 1, 2014 at 9:16 a.m. ( | suggest removal

OMG. Madore and Mielke are spending our tax dollars to mail their "integrity" resolution to OR and WA officials?

It will wind up in their circular files before it is ridiculed by most.

Aw, these rascally guys: ya' gotta love 'em.

manthou — February 1, 2014 at 9:26 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 8:47 a.m.

Man. A person needs a backhoe to wade through Madore's rhetoric.

___

A butt ton of gravitas comes with the Laxalt name in Nevada. This exodus from the republican party is interesting to watch.

-Another Nevada Republican Leaves The GOP-

Days after Nevada's first female lieutenant governor left the GOP, a member of a notable Silver State Republican family is following suit.

The Associated Press reported Friday that lobbyist Neena Laxalt, daughter of former Nevada governor and U.S. Sen. Paul Laxalt (R), decided to register as nonpartisan.

Laxalt's decision comes two days after Nevada Republican Sue Wagner announced she was jumping ship as a "symbol" that she does "not like the Republican Party and what they stand for today."

"It’s grown so conservative and tea-party orientated and I just can't buy into that," Wagner said. "I've left the Republican Party and it's left me, at the same time."

According to the AP report, Laxalt was encouraged by Wagner's decision. Wagner also chose to change her affiliation as nonpartisan.

HuffPost Pollster's latest compilation of 57 publicly available polls shows that the Republican Party's favorable rating has decreased steadily over the past two years. Back in January 2012, 43.3 percent viewed the GOP unfavorably. As of January 27, 2014, that number ballooned to 66.4 percent.

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 9:29 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — February 1, 2014 at 9:26 a.m.

Our "fiscally responsible" republican commissioners sure don't mind spending our money.

These guys have no brakes. No one to tell them the stupid stuff they do will end up as..stupid stuff.

We have our very own senior edition of Justin Bieber-times two!

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 9:35 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit: I have a quote for you, in reference to your 9:29 am post:

"That's all right. These things gotta happen every five years or so, ten years. Helps to get rid of the bad blood."

Who made that comment?

And, oh, by the way, what is the significance of your avatar?

manthou — February 1, 2014 at 9:39 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — February 1, 2014 at 9:39 a.m.

Appropriate quote given Nevada politics!

This avatar has about as much significance as any other. One of my favorite De Niro movies is 'Taxi Driver'.

Actually I was thinking about using this one more often. It brings to mind some of the complexities concerning mental health issues, sex trafficking, politics and anarchy. :)

Travis Bickle meant well, but he was a complicated soul.

(Please don't read too much into it)

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 10:09 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, it’s nice that the Columbian invited Madore and Leavitt to an interview, and especially nice that they provided the whole thing on tape.

Obviously, the big story is that LouLou had his stupid stuff coffee cup prominently displayed, but did you notice; the other two had a different coffee cup. My guess is that LouLou expected them to buy their own stupid stuff cup, but they refused.

Leavitt looked like he wanted to be anywhere except there. Bitter. Contemptuous. Something anyway. And what’s with him and his smart phone? It’s worse than G. Bush the elder looking at his watch. Madore was at ease and engaged. While Leavitt may feel the pain of being disparaged as a liar, Madore has been trashed on a daily basis, and regularly by the Columbian as well. AFAIC, the difference between Madore and Leavitt in this get together, is one of maturity and one of the positive outlook that Madore displays at his core.

Madore kept talking about “the people”. More code word talking! Just who does he think he’s fooling anyway!

Quote of the day: “The good thing about the City of Vancouver is that we are on a trajectory. Our goal, my goal, the counsel’s goal is to become a world class urban city.” -- Tim Leavitt. Roger has always been right about the purpose of the CRC, as planned, being for downtown Vancouver development/ re-development.

How come LouLou asks Madore about Benton threatening a lawsuit, but doesn’t ask Leavitt about his own (Leavitt’s) threatening letter to a citizen? For Gawd’s sake, Leavitt was right there! What’s up with this Columbian anyway?! Proudly hypocritical.

You can bet the Columbian is plenty worried about a new daily competitor.

And manthou, that was fat Clemenza who said that. As he was training Michael on using the gun.

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 10:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"You can bet the Columbian is plenty worried about a new daily competitor."

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

Emotional speculation for sure.

I'll drop a dime on that bet any day. Are you making book?

It's good to see you've taken my advice about google. (if you didn't already know the answer) I took manthou's question as more rhetorical than anything.

Are you rooting for the Seahawks tomorrow?

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 11:42 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Madore was at ease and engaged

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

I guess that's true, if you don't care what you say. The only reason he was "at ease" is because he knew he wouldn't have to answer ANY questions. He is a master of double talk and evasion and will NOT ever give you a straight answer. As for free speech, as long as it's his speech, he's all for it. What a POS.

Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 3:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal

So Hawkman; what do you think of LouLou questioning Madore about the Benton threatening letter, once again, but ignoring Leavitt’s own threatening letter, once again? What conclusions can you draw, if any, by this? Do you think, for example, that this might indicate an unprofessional bias on the part of the Columbian?

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 4:26 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 4:26 p.m.

I think the reason he didn't ask Levitt is because his threat is old news and the Benton thing is newer and possibly still ongoing. Lou is all about what's happening now and how much he can stir up things. Actually, I'd like to know more about Benton's letter. I think it takes a lot of guts to do what he did, especially since he doesn't deserve to have that job and should have had the morals to refuse the job when he was presented it. He was wrong and he knows it. The only reason he attacked Mr. Barnes is because he's on the offense.

Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 5:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

~John Kenneth Galbraith~

-An unexpected legacy of Citizens United: More money to finance GOP’s intraparty war-

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 5:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

My venture today into "pop culture", entailed catching the sequel to 'Hunger Games' today. Not as good as the first.

Also if anyone loves good barbeque, check out 'Jazzy John's' in Hazel Dell. Best smelling place in town with brisket to match.

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 5:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Now while I'm at it,

For starters: Lou asking about a number between 1 and 10 over the positive effects of Madore or Leavitt:

Leavitt about Madore (5:42): ” I think the number is certainly below a five.”

Madore about Leavitt (7:08): “One thing here is that Mister Leavitt got re-elected here, which was a vote of confidence for the people of his district. That speaks for itself right?”

And when pressed, (as Leavitt himself had been earlier pressed), Madore said “a middle of the road five”.

I’m wondering if this is being evasive. And by whom.

Next, I’m surprised that Leavitt says (8:36) he Doesn’t read the Columbian on a regular basis. I’d have thought that as mayor of Vancouver: he’d pay keen attention to this local paper every day. He sure seems to when referring to LttE’s. Madore and Mielke laughing at the “reporting” is understandable. But not so with Leavitt, who is the beneficiary of the Columbian’s “journalism”. I guess some of you now refer to this as “advocacy journalism”. Disgusting but laughable, and not unexpected. Euphemisms are one thing that Leftists deserve much credit for.

I do agree Hawkman, that Madore was evasive about the question of Benton’s letter to Barnes. It was a poor thing to have done on Benton’s part, but so was Leavitt’s threatening letter. And where’s the Columbian in all of this? MIA, that’s where: showing themselves as a partisan hack, pushing their own agenda. Madore walked into the enemy’s lair, and conducted himself with good comportment. Leavitt was on friendly ground, and looked, to me, like a pouting child.

If this was the evasiveness to which you refer, then I’ll agree. Otherwise, just what else are you talking about? Maybe we can go thru this line by line.

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 5:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"Mountains out of a molehills"

~Sheyla Hershey~

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 6:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 5:58 p.m.

Maybe we can go thru this line by line.

Why don't you start and I'll.............. well, I'll just watch you. Mostly 'cause I don't care.

nailingit — February 1, 2014 at 6:04 p.m. === nailedit

Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 6:53 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Mostly 'cause I don't care. -- Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 6:53 p.m.

You bet. But you care enough to critcize your political others every chance you get. And in the most disparaging terms. You know how you just ridiculed Madore for evasiveness? Well gee whiz -- lookie here. E.V.A.S.I.V.E.N.E.S.S.

Why don't you start and I'll.............. well, I'll just watch you. -- Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 6:53 p.m.

Actually, I've already started at 5:58 p.m. Your turn now bud.

I've suggested how Leavitt is detached and bitter, and is a partisan hack. Now it's your turn. Just what are you talking about when you say the Madore is a phony? Maybe you want to prove yourself by making light of the gap between Benton's front teeth. There's real constructive dialog.

Otherwise, how's about going back to the video and backing up your callous remarks.

Oh, just what is the time frame between the Leavitt threat and the Benton threat. Whatever it is, is a drop in the bucket. Your argument is non sense, Even you know this. The Columbian looks the other way because they have an agenda, which has nothing at all to do with some miniscule time frame of whether Leavitt's threat came first, or Benton's threat came first. A bunch of proud hypocrites. You people ought to be ashamed of yourselves.

:):):):):):):)

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 7:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, Mike Briggs has announced he's running against Brandon Vick in the 18th. I really doubt the conservative folk of that district will support someone who'll be a 'Yes Man' for Jim Moeller, but....

roger — February 1, 2014 at 8:45 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I picked up a copy of Jeff Beck's tribute to Les Paul DVD, and was blown away by the female singer that was at that show - some Irish rockabilly girl named Imelda May.

Remember (Walking In The Sand)

Train Kept a Rollin'

roger — February 1, 2014 at 9:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk,
we are not all conservatives out here. We have lots of hi-tech folks living out in east county, young folks, you name it. Our issue was and is the slew of weak candidates to stand up to the likes of Pike and her political money machine (that would be Madore and the Builders' Association, etc.).
Just the other day, one of his minions on the Washougal City Council proposed prayers before each meeting, but only from "established religions." We all know what that means. Same person who was in agreement of stopping support for the non-profit as that makes referrals to a non-profit health org that might under some circumstances refer a woman to Planned Parenthood. Neither proposal made it. People are getting sick of these folks. So, IF a decent candidate has some decent backing, overcoming the gazillion signs Vick and Pike were able to throw out there, we might see a change.

luvithere — February 1, 2014 at 9:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Honestly, have we sunk that far? At least on some college grounds? This is hilarious.

Slowly moving back to the 15th century in this country....

luvithere — February 1, 2014 at 9:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"Now it's your turn. Just what are you talking about when you say the Madore is a phony? Maybe you want to prove yourself by making light of the gap between Benton's front teeth. There's real constructive dialog.

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 7:50 p.m.

Now I don't remember saying he was a phony. That just doesn't sound like me. Nope, I'd call him slimy or a used car salesman or something like that. Also, sideways comes to mind but not "phony." Oh wait, are we talking about Madore or Benton? Never mind, they are generally interchangeable. As for the gap in Benton's teeth, that his thing, too bad he never got that fixed, it generally makes him look uneducated. As for Leavitt's lawsuit, it had nothing to do with him being Mayor and all to do with his day job. That would be a "personal lawsuit" and not City involved, I suppose that doesn't matter to you, you like getting into peoples private lives just like your buddy Lew Waters. Benton's was another subject all together and had everything to do with his "public" job hence making it public in the newspaper was totally called for.

Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 9:32 p.m. ( | suggest removal

It was me that brought up Briggs first foray into local involvement. I won’t go back to that post, for the time being. But here’s the thing. Briggs ruffled some feathers by comments he had made about some Washougal City Council members. After some wrangling, the Washougal City Council approved him anyway, for a planning board member. Six months later, he resigned, citing his desire to pursue a career in writing. Whatever.

Briggs is a wonder of ideology. Portland State University political science classes and all. And all of the rest that goes into that. He more recently showed his very difficult test, that he was preparing for, on the Constitution, or something, at PSU, on his website. I guess that was suppose to be impressive. You want to see difficult, then you look at multivariable calculus, or combinatorics, or complex number analysis in mathematics. If you’ve watched this character, then you know that he likes to appear as some wise old sage by referring to others as “young man” or some condescending term, without really saying anything. IMO. Why don’t all of you psychoanalysts out there, psychoanalyze Briggs, with his penchant for acting important, without knowing anything at all. Look at this guy being interviewed by CVTV, as he was on election night. You people want to talk about “talking point’s” How incredibly laughable.

Briggs winning the 18th, is as unlikely as Crain winning the 49th.

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 9:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

" If you’ve watched this character, then you know that he likes to appear as some wise old sage by referring to others as “young man” or some condescending term, without really saying anything. IMO."

kn_dalai — February 1, 2014 at 9:51 p.m.

Oh, for a minute there I thought you were talking about Madore. Wait, you are! Aren't you...

Hawkman — February 1, 2014 at 10:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Exceptionally good reads in the C today:

Scott Hewitt's story on intergenerational poverty; Aaron Corvin's focus on Ambient Media and the rise of knowledge-economy businesses here; and two interviews: Sochi-born Galina Burley by Sue Vorenberg and grieving mom Pat Kuiper by Emily Gillespie.

Enjoy the Super Bowl today, if you are watching. Be cautious of reveler drivers on your way home, if you are on the road. My friend is taking the train in from Manhattan to Newark today for work. Can you imagine that headache? He tells me that the police are not allowing anyone with a bag bigger than a clutch purse on the train to the stadium. There are Blackhawk helicopters at the ready. It is like a war zone.

So sad this has to be like this now in our country: we cannot celebrate en masse without terrorism fears.

What are your Super Bowl plans? Anyone?

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 7:45 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Focusing strictly on Mike Briggs --

1) He's of the opinion that once someone is elected to office they are to legislate as they personally believe best. That the voters shouldn't be allowed to restrict said legislator, other than at election time. That's his view of our representative form of government.

2) He's been discussing several local issues on The Columbian over the past few years, and his focus has consistently been one of wanting whatever Vancouver City Council wants. That may be perfectly OK for a legislator representing the 49th, but someone in the 18th needs to look to the east and the north, and recognize that the needs are not the same.

3) He refuses to learn for himself, and instead prefers to depend on the "experts" for whatever he backs. For example, he was one of the louder voices on the bandwagon that the I5 bridges were going to going to go down in a quake that was coming any time now. I provided him links to the Oregon State study on the Cascadia Subduction Zone (the one that says the southern Oregon coast around Coos Bay is in the greatest danger), a Washington state government analysis of earthquakes which notes the greatest danger exists in the area of the I5 bridge, and a link to a bridge engineering website which not only makes it clear we can't build one to survive past an 8.0, but that the design for the CRC isn't one that is considered likely to withstand one of a higher magnitude. A "Thanks - this is interesting stuff" and then back to his regurgitating his Henny Penny "The sky is falling" mantra.

4) As kn_dalai notes, he is quite condescending towards those who disagree with him. He's also a game player - he starts squabbles on the facebook side, and when someone comes back at him he references The Columbian's rules for commenting and complains to the website moderator. He also posts via his own facebook page, blocking the ability of some (like me) to see his comments. (My facebook informed me he posted to a comment I made, but I couldn't see it when I went to the article. I had to log out of facebook and then back to the newspaper article to have it show.) Frankly, his behavior in this respect isn't a whole lot different than that of Don Benton.

I'm not claiming Brandon Vick is anything great (as near as I can tell, he's done next to nothing while serving). However, I don't see Briggs as being an improvement. I got in trouble with Marshal Matt for calling him a sycophant a couple of years back - my opinion hasn't changed. My suggestion for the 18th (I think that's you, Hawkeye) is to find someone who understands the needs of the district and will pursue those issues.

roger — February 2, 2014 at 8:25 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 7:45 a.m. --- "What are your Super Bowl plans? Anyone?"

Cleaning the living room and kitchen. I can't just sit and watch TV for an extended period of time, so for Super Sunday I've found that this allows me to watch the game when it's interesting, and to accomplish something useful the rest of the time.

roger — February 2, 2014 at 8:30 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: My only personal experience with Mike Briggs? He was in the audience during the first Freeholder meet-and-greet at Latte Da coffee house on 39th and Main.

Temple Lentz was giving her speech and he kept flashing a beam of light (from a tiny flashlight memento) into her eyes. He thought he was being cute.

I thought he was being disrespectful and pre-adolescent. Like a toddler, he stopped when he realized everyone was ignoring his antics and focused on the speaker instead.

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 8:33 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: My plans today are to START my redecorating project on the upstairs, so I am going to be active with the TV in the background, too. No painting today, but all the cleaning and prep work for three rooms and a hall.

I may go to the grocery store when it starts: they are usually empty and no one is plastered yet behind the wheel. At least I hope.

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 8:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

What are your Super Bowl plans? Anyone?

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 7:45 a.m.

Having family over.

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 8:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I guess trashing a respectable citizen's desire to seek office is a bi-partisan affair.

No wonder people don't get into politics.

Have a great Superbowl everyone.

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 8:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

Considering we've also trashed Madore and Benton, and just about everything they've ever done - Yes - we are pretty bipartisan here.

Also in the 18th, Maureen Winningham has announced she'll run against Liz Pike. Her platform is that our State must abide by the Supreme Court ruling about funding education. She also notes that while she doesn't know enough about the Transportation tax issue to have an opinion, she does consider the I5 bridges unsafe and in need of replacement. She believes her conflict resolution expertise will help resolve these issues. Hmmm....

roger — February 2, 2014 at 9:33 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit @ 8:55 am: I am an equal opportunity "trasher." :)

Here's the thing: when people choose to live in the public eye, they willingly subject themselves to a brutal microscopic evaluation from the public and the press.

Whatever they say or do in public is fair game. I wish I had not seen Mike Briggs pull his little middle school antics that day, but I did. And I am going to remember that. What made him believe someone in the crowd would not see that and care?

My untested theory is that political life attracts people with a higher incidence of certain personality types Review these disorders: Narcissistic; Borderline; Histrionic; Anti-social; Psychopathic, etc. and then look at some high-profile politicians and see if you don't see some similarities.

Or is it just bad behavior and poor judgement?

We evaluate police officers and firefighters to rule out psychopathology, why not politicians? I am only half joking.

Some research supports the personality disorder theory:

So, I think more healthy people don't get involved in politics because they know it is not good for the heart and soul. :)

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 9:52 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 8:55 a.m.

I'll trash ANYONE. I really don't care who it is, if they've done something stupid, I'll tell it like it is. That being said, I've seen both sides of Briggs. I think there are definitely two sides to him, maybe he can get meds for that. I have had arguments with him and also agreed with a few things, he's not the kind of person I'd vote for.

As for the big game, I'll be planted in my "easy" chair screaming at the TV.

Hawkman — February 2, 2014 at 10 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Roger I agree Briggs is a very condescending person. I have watched him write for the last couple years. As many times as you have tried to present facts he on the other hand has just came back with Leavetts same old reasons. I don't think he is capable of thinking for himself. As for Madore He has put himself in a corner that is going to be hard to get out of. I know several conservatives that think Benton is a fool. They can't understand how he keeps getting elected. On the other side there are quite a few Liberals that can't understand how Moeller keeps getting elected. I would like to see a better balance in those that we elect. I doubt it will happen. When you refuse to listen to what others have to say you lose all respect.

timerick — February 2, 2014 at 10:01 a.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick: Political life attracts persons who crave the spotlight and attention as much as a crack head needs a fix. That need takes precedence above family, friends and community and often blurs ethics and judgement. On the outside, we might see a successful businessperson, but what motivates them is a self-serving ego, not altruism. Not all fit that bleak profile, but there are a good number who do, which makes it difficult to trust any of them.

We the people need to adjust our expectations of politicians to fit reality: healthy people avoid political office. Unhealthy people thrive on the game.

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 10:24 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger- Benton is a seasoned politician with a history to take exception with. Madore has been trashed because of his actions since taking office.

Briggs doesn't even get off his doorstep before he gets both barrels. That`s okay if you had good reason to. Your gripe? Because he wanted to trust our elected for transportation issues.

"As kn_dalai notes, he is quite condescending towards those who disagree with him." Considering the source, could you even type that with a straight face?

So we have a laughable toddler whose unable to think for himself armed with an evil penlight.

What about the 29 year old (has he reached 30 yet?) currently holding office working for Dad's business who seemingly has done little? With Brandon, we can actually do an honest assessment sans emotional hyperbole.

But instead, we trash a veteran with a respectable career.

All this, before he runs for office.

People thinking about a run for office would do well not to post to facebook. I guess the less we know about them the more viable they become?

Yay Brandon!

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 10:28 a.m. ( | suggest removal

People need to leave their personal convictions at home if they want to enter the political battlefield. A good start for them would be to listen to those that elect them. And I mean both sides. There are always two sides to most important issues. They need to educate themselves. I think that is lacking in most of those that we elect. Is it our fault as voters? Some of it is. Some is because we don't have good candidates that run for office. The real good ones don't want to put their families or themselves through the wringer. I don't blame them. Thats why we get what we got.

timerick — February 2, 2014 at 10:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 10:28 a.m

Is that why Crain went missing, then? And, I just thought it because she was feeling awkward for spouting the naughty at the BoCC meeting. There was total silence til she announced her run against Moeller.

Briggs reminds me somewhat of Madore, but without the secret sneakiness necessary to groom a crowd before they realize it. He was fairly straight forward regarding his intentions with his many posts about 'looking to 2014'.

jacjak — February 2, 2014 at 11:30 a.m. ( | suggest removal

What are your Super Bowl plans? Anyone?

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 7:45 a.m.

Heading out now to do a bit of pruning then spraying on our little dwarf honeycrisp apple tree while it's still dormant, and fill the yard waste bin with all the tree debris from the last storm.

Then back in for the game. It's about the only football I watch other than some of the collage playoffs. We went to dinner last night at Main Event Eastside, and the place was wild! Sort of pumps a person up, but even with that extra dose of rousing team spirit, I'll probably play a computer game or sudoku and just look up at the yelling and screaming parts.

jacjak — February 2, 2014 at 12:21 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 10:28 a.m.

I think I've trashed Brandon more than once. I sort of recall making a negative comment or two back when he was insisting Marc Boldt be censured/excommunicated from Republican party life for failing to toe the party line. And I've also noted his complete nothingness as a legislator - he was learning the ropes (or whatever), whereas Monica jumped in and got to work right away. (Reelect Monica!)

The way I see it, Vick and Briggs are the opposite side of the same coin - political ideologues (or activists, to humor Briggs - though he's done nothing to demonstrate his activism). This kind of person is usually ineffective when having to work with others. (Refer back to his previous foray into government, as kn_dalai has pointed out.)

David Madore also claims military service - the Navy, same as Mike Briggs. I suppose you can also say he's had a respectable career - whatever that term may entail.

That idiot lady who's a Madore backer tried to claim Marc Boldt's occupation as a truck driver made him less qualified that businessman Madore - and as some of our friends on the Right are fond of noting, Pres Obama has never had a job, other than civic activism and politician - whereas Mitt Romney is a highly successful businessman.

And then there were many who said Jeannie Stewart needed to put out to pasture because she's old and tired - replace her with someone young and "vibrant" who really really really wants to "Get to Yes."

roger — February 2, 2014 at 1:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — February 2, 2014 at 11:30 a.m.

I agree about Briggs being straight forward. And to dismiss this democrat based on emotional and speculative narratives, while giving a free pass to the current young republican in office reads like a vacuum.

Even though I've haven't been in the same room with these folk, (except like most through video & FB postings) I think Briggs lacks both the message and style to draw people in like Madore. Madore is both a hero and a martyr to his flock and others because of No Tolls. I get the sense Madore feels if he can broker a deal for an east side bridge before his time is up, it will be his saving grace.

"Is that why Crain went missing, then? And, I just thought it because she was feeling awkward for spouting the naughty at the BoCC meeting." (may the circle be unbroken:)

It very well could be. Most likely why Madore and others engage sparingly on FB if at all. People can also be read differently than what was intended. It certainly has happened to me and others in our forum.

If I were running the Crain's campaign, I'd put her on a cruise ship. I'd hire Marie Osmond to do all of her promo's and speaking engagements till election day. She'd lock the Mormon vote, carry the casual voter who doesn't pay attention, while appealing to the local conservative base who would pony up campaign dollars thinking the whole thing was a late night info-commercial.

Carolyn- If you're out there. You'd be Argentina bound while Marie and I did all the leg work. Think about it.

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 1:08 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"And again - I'm not in the 18th. But I'm sure there's got to be someone better suited for the position than either of those two."
roger — February 2, 2014 at 1:04 p.m.

Maybe. But Vick has had his shot. That we can assess. Briggs shouldn't be dismissed based on the rhetoric you guys have dished out, that's for sure.

I wish he would post here. Maybe invite him as a fellow Face Book user? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Briggs fan either way. I'm just appealing to the broader sense of accountability. What has Brandon done should be what this election, as any other, should be about.

(Refer back to his previous foray into government, as kn_dalai has pointed out.) You have to be kidding.....if this is the type of analysis you deem credible than I don't know what to say. Go over this point by point..:) So he changes career goals and he's outta here. Pretty broad brush.

"So, when we get down to a bottom line, I've yet to see where Briggs' age and experience makes him any more qualified than a kid who sponges off of Mom and Dad."

You just took someone's life experiences and tossed them out the window. I believe most voters would disagree if the talking points were on this issue only.

Do you agree with timerick's statement, "People need to leave their personal convictions at home if they want to enter the political battlefield." @ 10:55?

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 1:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit @1:08 p.m. “emotional and speculative”?
nailingit @1:42 p.m. "rhetoric"?

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 1:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Chargers fan here rooting for the former AFC West Seahawks. Remember the Dave Kreig/Steve Largent days? A somewhat friendly (yet short lived) rivalry of sorts. Nothing like the hard fought dirty rivalry games against the Raiders,Chiefs or Bronco's. Turn them out! Knaves all three!

Back in Vegas, Super Bowl is the biggest event of the year. One of the few times I miss the place.

First time I've lived in a state when the home team makes the Super Bowl. Pretty cool Washingtonians!

Anyway- Go Seahawks!

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 2:59 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Ok, guys. regarding Mike Briggs. Not sure how and why but he used to majorly tee off the conservatives out east. This was on a now defunct con blog spot. They sure laid into him. Especially bad? he has not lived here all his life. Never quite got that.
He also had trouble getting onto that planning commission. Pushed his way on it, then quit. left a nasty impression. Somehow, he is not well liked and i doubt he could win. I really can't say much more as I do not know more.
As i stated yesterday, East county is not all conservative. We do lack a decent, strong candidate, however. Have for a few years. Vicks has been totally useless. Pike is Pike. One can only hope we get a strong roster of decent candidates running from either side. Get that playing field going for a change. Maybe even get some NORMAL people to run - and win. Don't count us out yet over here!

Got some nice freshly made BBQ baby ribs from Safeway. Made some real home-made, spicy mac and cheese. Cole slaw to go with it. Not watching game, however. Cannot stomach football (yea yea. Soccer only, so what can you do about it).
Saw the Budweiser super bowl ad already. Very cute.

luvithere — February 2, 2014 at 3:25 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 1:42 p.m.

I've invited him a couple of times. Perhaps we're a bit too confrontational for him. Now if you would ask, and let him know you've got his back - That you'll jump in and take over his part of the conversation when things get tough....

luvithere — February 2, 2014 at 3:25 p.m. --- "East county is not all conservative." True, but the 18th is the most conservative of the three districts, and a hard right candidate has a much better chance than someone who sides with the liberal position on probably every topic there is. And even if the CRC is finally killed off, his position on that will be used against him. The opposition will hammer home the point that Briggs has spent the past few years advocating the Vancouver City Council/Identity Clark County positions, with no concern for the polling which shows many of these are not shared in the 18th. Personally, until I see them offer up a strong candidate, I'll continue to think the Clark County Democrat party has written the 18th off.

roger — February 2, 2014 at 3:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Roger, and that's the problem. The party has written off the 18th, and therefore we get no decent candidates. This needs to change.
Madore tried hard to buy city councils out here, with mixed success. People are getting a bit more cautious of the tea folks out here.

luvithere — February 2, 2014 at 3:55 p.m. ( | suggest removal

There seems to be some confusion here over Leavitt's threat, which was in connection to Leavitt's position on the C-tran board while being employed by PBS, a contractor to Tri Met.

I've gone back to Lew Waters very good blog, and found the information. Too bad the Columbian choses to ignore what happened. Proudly hypocritical.

"As if lying through his teeth back in 2009 to get elected wasn’t bad enough, now we see Mayor Tim ‘The Liar’ Leavitt using the city provided email address he was issued to threaten a citizen that speaks out against him."

From: “Tim Leavitt”
To: tljco@comcast.net
Sent: Saturday, September 28, 2013 10:18:22 AM
Subject: Re: tri met

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 4:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Should be:

From: “Tim Leavitt”

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 4:47 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Interesting, the rest of Leavitt's city of vancouver email address gets blocked out.

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 4:50 p.m. ( | suggest removal

half time..... 22-0

GO HAWKS!

Hawkman — February 2, 2014 at 5:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Wow - A total surprise. The Seahawks are humiliating the best offense in the game, and it's almost like the Bronco's defense quit there in the 2nd quarter. Manning - "The Best Ever" - is being completely outplayed by Wilson.

I wonder if the Red Hot Chili Peppers (by far the best part of halftime) are going to have FOX News carrying on about that one lyric in Give It Away (the title in tself suggestive) - "What I've got you've got to get it put it in you." Have they upstaged Janet and Justin?

Wow - Just barely underway in the 3rd, another TD, and the fans in my area are showing what they think of Advisory Vote #6 - Fireworks are starting to pick up.

roger — February 2, 2014 at 5:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Pretty good show, Bruno Mars reminds me of Richie Valens.

Broncos need to just pack it up and go home.

Hawkman — February 2, 2014 at 5:46 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Watch out for an Email from a funeral company about a lost loved one. It's a nasty little bug.

funny, the captcha is "destructive"

Hawkman — February 2, 2014 at 5:54 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Good Lord: Broncos finally score? Third quarter almost over.

Tell me they can't be the comeback kids…...

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 6:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Seahawks are rocking it!

Tell me they can't be the comeback kids…...

manthou — February 2, 2014 at 6:13 p.m.

Not against this defense. What a show this D is putting on!

___

The acting world lost a great one. If you haven't seen 'Capote' check it out. I just saw Hoffman yesterday in the Hunger Games sequel.

RIP

-Philip Seymour Hoffman Dead: Actor Dies At 46 In New York Apartment-

he New York Post reports that Hoffman was found dead on his bathroom floor of an apparent drug overdose by a friend at 11:30 a.m. According to the New York Times, the friend visited Hoffman's home after he could not get a hold of the actor and grew concerned. WSJ criminal justice reporter Pervaiz Shallwani tweeted that Hoffman was alone at the time of his death and the man who found him was screenwriter David Katz, with whom Hoffman had recently been working on a project.

An official told the NYT that a syringe was found in the actor's arm at the scene, accompanied by what appeared to be an envelope of heroin. “It’s pretty apparent that it was an overdose," the official confirmed. "The syringe was in his arm.”

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 6:16 p.m. ( | suggest removal

An article of some relevance "hidden" on one of the political blogs. Seems Monica Stonier and Paul Harris are cosponsoring a bill that requires a vote before cities can annex unincorporated areas. Eric Florip references the little squabble out in Battle Ground, but it also applies to a few other areas too.

I'm wondering if the local Democratic party will turn on Monica - This is an old Benton initiative being resurrected, and it's the second time she's gone and sided with the Bad Guys. This crap of listening to what the voters in her district want is totally unacceptable.

roger — February 2, 2014 at 6:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal

A silver lining, perhaps - Hopefully now that the Sea Hawks have won a Super Bowl, I won't have to listen to all the complaints that my Steelers stole that one in 2005.

roger — February 2, 2014 at 6:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — February 2, 2014 at 6:30 p.m.

Well they DID!!!

It's a little sad that the game wasn't closer but if you look at the two teams, they both play different football. Seattle was due and I think they'll be a contender for several years to come.

Hawkman — February 2, 2014 at 6:54 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Here comes the earthquake. Hope the Space Needle doesn't tip over.

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 6:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — February 2, 2014 at 6:54 p.m.

This game was decided in the 1st Quarter. Both defenses were hitting hard, and had the opposing offense's strengths zeroed in on. Seattle made some changes, and then Wilson played possibly his best game of the season, especially in the 2nd and 3rd. Denver stuck to their same offense - I gather they believed they were somehow going to put the upstarts in their place. The real MVP was probably Pete Carroll - The Broncos were out coached on every level, and it showed on the field.

21-10 says everything that needs to be said. Go Steelers!

roger — February 2, 2014 at 7:33 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Fav commercial? Anyone?

Mine: Budweiser - little puppy with the horses, and Chrysler with Bob Dylan, The halftime opening by Pepsi was really good too. Favorable mention... doberman chihuahua with Audi and girl roping a bag of doritos while riding the masive family dog. Probably more one I think about it.

jacjak — February 2, 2014 at 9:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 1:57 p.m.

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 4:41 p.m.

I thought these might evoke some response. Maybe start a debate. No I guess not. No surprise there. Carry on.

Hey Columbian, why are you such proud hypocrites?

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 9:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — February 2, 2014 at 9:03 p.m

Hated the hybrid dog one, too stupid. Budweiser, always good. Bob Dylan, first time I've been able to understand him, loved the idea, of course I'm a proud Mopar owner. The Coke one with all the different languages, not great, I wish they would have brought back "I'd like to teach the world to sing" one.

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 9:14 p.m.

Said all I'm going to say on your subject. Your argument is with the Columbian, not me.

Hawkman — February 2, 2014 at 10:22 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — February 2, 2014 at 9:03 p.m.

I liked the one where Morpheus sang opera in the back seat.

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 10:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 9:14 p.m.

Not one to disappoint.

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 1:57 p.m.

Rehashed old news. I know conservatives embrace the past, are troubled by the present, and afraid of the future, but come on.....next up...that corrupt ol' Clinton and Monica...

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 4:41 p.m.

"Mayor Tim ‘The Liar’ Leavitt"

Correction: Mayor Two Term Tim 'The Liar' Leavitt.

Nothing to debate here.

Carry on

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 10:47 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — February 2, 2014 at 10:47 p.m

Of course.

Now maybe you can stop being an evasive smart ass for once.

At 1:57 p.m. I’ve shown what the local newspaper of record reported about Mike Briggs behavior.

At 4:41 p.m. I’ve shown the proud hypocrisy of the Columbian, with regards to Leavitt, contrary to comrade Hawkman’s ideas.

It’s pretty simple. If you don’t like it, then tell us all how to explain the apparent proud hypocrisy of the Columbian.

Some of you think that I’m the rude one? Nope. I’ve long maintained that the Left is based on emotionalism over the “unfairness of it all”. The bias of you people is just nuts.

kn_dalai — February 2, 2014 at 11:42 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"Some of you think that I’m the rude one? Nope. I’ve long maintained that the Left is based on emotionalism over the “unfairness of it all”.

Interesting. Yet you are the one constantly complaining the Columbian and others aren't fair, yet denounce anyone else saying so.

You have really taken my phrase, "proudly hypocritical" to heart!

nailingit — February 3, 2014 at 8:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal