Vancouver officer shot released from hospital, recovering at home

Police chief releases statement about response to shooting

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter and Patty Hastings, Columbian Social Services, Demographics, Faith



The Vancouver police officer shot seven times Monday was discharged from the hospital late Wednesday night and continues recovering at home.

Motorcycle Officer Dustin Goudschaal was shot while making a traffic stop Monday at about 11:30 a.m. on Northeast 34th Street near 162nd Avenue in east Vancouver. Having pulled over a vehicle that turned out to be stolen, the driver, identified as 47-year-old James Todd Sapp, turned and shot Goudschaal before speeding away, according to court documents. Sapp was arrested on suspicion of first-degree attempted murder, first-degree robbery and unlawful possession of a firearm.

It’s believed Goudschaal’s ballistic vest helped save his life.

Chief’s statement

Following the news that Goudschaal was well enough to be sent home from the hospital, Chief James McElvain took to the Vancouver Police Department’s Facebook page.

“I was impressed with the level of skill, rapid response and expertise displayed by each law enforcement officer/deputy,” wrote McElvain, who joined the department in December from Riverside, Calif. “This was an outstanding display of selfless service that we all come to simply expect each and every day; however, Monday’s response exceeded expectation, and I am grateful. For the community’s support, and that displayed by those individuals who put themselves in harm’s way to render immediate aid to Officer Goudschaal, I am extremely humbled.”

Immediately following the shooting, two passers-by stopped to help Goudschaal with his wounds and to notify 911 dispatchers of the shooting. Goudschaal was taken to PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center, where he remained hospitalized for a few days. James Bridger, who used Goudschaal’s radio to call for help, visited the officer in the hospital and said he was making jokes and appeared to be in good spirits.

While Goudschaal was hospitalized, community members left balloons at the site of the shooting, and fellow police officers posted a signed card. More than 150 people attended a vigil Tuesday night on PeaceHealth’s front lawn, during which the interim chairman of the Chinook Indian Nation sang a blessing.

The Vancouver Police Officers’ Guild set up a donation account at iQ Credit Union. People can donate at any branch under the Goudschaal family account.