Fire Marshal: Electrical malfunction caused attic fire

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

 

A fire Thursday night in the attic of a house east of PeaceHealth Southwest Medical Center was an accidental electrical fire, according to Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli.

The fire, which was reported at 7:27 p.m. at 9405 N.E. Sixth St., was caused by an electrical malfunction or failure in a bathroom shower heat lamp, Scarpelli said.

Crews from the Vancouver Fire Department arrived to find smoke coming from a corner of the single-story ranch home’s attic, according to radio reports. Flames later broke through the roof.

The occupants of the house and two dogs escaped the fire. Red Cross was dispatched to provide assistance.

The amount of damage from the blaze was estimated at $40,000.