Cooking fire spreads to attic of Sifton home

Woman tried to extinguish fire with water

By Craig Brown, Columbian metro editor

Published:

 
Fire scene

A cooking fire spread into the ceiling and attic of a Sifton-area home Thursday morning, causing significant damage to the home.

The fire was reported at 11:21 a.m. at 7210 N.E. 125th Ave., a three-bedroom ranch-style home owned by Georgiy and Tavifa Koroy.

According to emergency radio traffic monitored at The Columbian, a woman was cooking in the kitchen when a small fire started. She tried to extinguish it with water, but after snuffing the flames, she noticed smoke coming from the ceiling area. She immediately left the home and called 911.

Firefighters arrived to find light smoke coming from a gable at the end of the attic. However, their investigation turned up significant damage to the ceiling, the roof joists and the roof decking.

The Vancouver Fire Department responded.