If you go
• What: Vancouver USA Marathon and Summer Brewfest.
• Where: Esther Short Park, West Columbia and Eighth streets in downtown Vancouver.
• When: Brewfest is 3 to 10 p.m. Friday, noon to 10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Marathon begins at 7 a.m. Sunday.
• Cost: Brewfest is $25 at the gate and includes a commemorative glass and 10 tokens. The marathon is free to watch. Registration for the race has closed.
• Information:Vancouver USA Marathon website.
The city of Vancouver's summer event season takes off with a sprint this weekend, starting with the Vancouver USA Marathon and Summer Brewfest in Esther Short Park.
The Father's Day marathon, which drew about 3,000 runners in 2013, was ranked one of the top nine best new marathons for 2014 by Runner's World. The weekend of activities, put on by Energy Events, also includes a half-marathon, 5K and two kids' races, and the three-day brewfest that starts at 3 p.m. Friday.
"I'd say we have about 3,500 people signed up" to run in the collection of races, said Brain Davis, owner of Energy Events. "We're ramping up every year. This year we have runners from seven countries. Everyone's really excited about it."
Vancouver Summer Brewfest will include 25 brewers with 52 taps. Clark County brewers include Mt. Tabor, Loowit, Heathen, Dirty Hands, Mill City, Beerded Brothers, Ghost Runners, Doomsday, Laurelwood and McMenamins. The Brewfest will run from 3 to 10 p.m. Friday, noon to 10 p.m. Saturday and 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday in conjunction with the races.
Visit http://vancouverusamarathon.com for more information.
Following the marathon, a host of other events will be held each week in the city throughout the summer.
• June 20-22: The Craft Winefest of Vancouver at Esther Short Park.
• June 28-29: Recycled Arts Festival at Esther Short Park.
• July 4: Independence Day at Fort Vancouver.
• Wednesdays from July 9-Aug. 13: Destination Downtown free Noon Hour Concert Series at Esther Short Park, which kicks off July 9 with the Vancouver Pops Orchestra.
• Thursdays from July 10 to Aug. 14: Riverview Six to Sunset Concert Series at Esther Short Park, which kicks off with the Journey cover band Stone in Love on July 10.
• Fridays from July 11-Aug. 15: Country Financial Friday Night Movies in the Park, which kicks off with "Up" at LeRoy Haagen Park on July 11.
• July 19: Cruisin' the Gut on Main Street.
• July 25-26: 3 Days of Aloha — Ho'ike and Hawaiian Festival at Esther Short Park (the first day, July 24, is a hula and craft workshop in Portland.)
• Aug. 8-10: Vancouver Brewfest at Esther Short Park.
• Aug. 15-17: Hoops on the River at Esther Short Park.
• Aug. 20-24: Vancouver Wine and Jazz Festival at Esther Short Park.
• Aug. 28-30: CouvFest NW Music Festival at Esther Short Park.
• Sept. 5-7: Sausage Fest at St. Joseph's Catholic School.
A 12-page Vancouver summer events magazine, "Why we love Vancouver," will be available at City Hall, community centers and at this summer's events. An event guide with details and more listings is also at www.cityofvancouver.us/summer.