Open forum, March 3-9

Comments

Eric Florip posted the link to a really good website in a recent Political Beat article. (And I recommend that blog, by the way - he's pretty much taken it over now that Stevie Mathieu has been elevated to some sort of editor.) Anyhow, it's TVW, which covers the WA State gov't. http://tvw.org/ If you like watching County and City Council on cvtv, then I recommend this one too.

roger — March 3, 2014 at 6:28 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: TVW is a great way to observe the government goings-on in this state. Watch and make up your own mind, rather than having it interpreted and filtered for you. I second that recommendation.

Speaking of………Looks like the Transportation bills, all three of them, take even more projects away from Clark County than the paltry projects we were given in earlier versions For that, we get to pay 11.5 cents more per gallon to make sure King and Pierce Counties get the best of the pot.

manthou — March 3, 2014 at 6:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Big week locally:

Will Steve Stuart be leaving the CC Commission?

RTC Board Meeting Tuesday at 4, with the evening BOCC Hearing following at 6.

State of the County address on Thursday at the Square Dance Center. Hee Haw! Bring your overalls and pitchforks and truth-o-meter. I cannot wait to analyze the spin machine speeches afterwards. Hope it is televised on CVTV.

manthou — March 3, 2014 at 7:18 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Not sure if this is ok, but got this comment off a NYT article that has a pic of a Russian soldier guarding (?) a playground where kids were swinging. Basically repeats my opinion but says it better. Like to read the comments on NYT because many are Europe, Russia, & Ukraine...

craig geary
redlands fl 8 hours ago
What you will not read from the advocates for war/US military involvement:

I've been to war and know it's horrors.
I'm enlisting today.
My kids are enlisting today.
I'm wiling to sacrifice my Social Security to pay for this war.

Nope, just like the armchair chickenhawk warmongers like Bush, Cheney, Romney, Limbaugh, Gingrich, suffering and dying is for other peoples kids and the cost will be taken from our healthcare, educations and infrastructure costs.

jacjak — March 3, 2014 at 2:07 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Word

nailingit — March 3, 2014 at 5:09 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — March 3, 2014 at 5:09 p.m.

Word?

Hypothetically as existing only as an idea or concept? Or academically as with a fixed definition? Or by association?

Whichever it may be, hoping all is well.

jacjak — March 3, 2014 at 9:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Word
1) well said
2)said in a agreement
3) can be used as a greeting, hey whats up
1..and 2...Yo u goin to that rocks tanite....word
3) word up

Yo-word up JJ

nailingit — March 3, 2014 at 9:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Did I say monetarily?

Secretary of State John Kerry, Arriving in Kiev, Offers $1 Billion in Loan Guarantees to Ukraine
KIEV — In a demonstration of support for Ukraine’s fledgling government, Secretary of State John Kerry arrived here on Tuesday with an offer of $1 billion in American loan guarantees and pledges of technical assistance, a senior State Department official said on Tuesday.
The purpose of the loan guarantee is to support Ukraine’s efforts to integrate with the West and help offset the reduction of energy subsidies from Russia, which has assailed the new government’s legitimacy and occupied its Crimea Peninsula.
The United States will also send technical experts to help Ukraine’s national bank and finance ministry, provide advice on how to fight corruption and train election monitors to help establish the legitimacy of Ukraine’s upcoming election.

Sure, we can afford that!

Hawkman — March 4, 2014 at 6:38 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Insightful article.

-Why Russia No Longer Fears the West-

This is why Crimea is perfect Putin. Crimea is no South Ossetia. This is not some remote, mountainous Georgian village inhabited by some dubious ethnicity that Russians have never heard of. Crimea is the heart of Russian romanticism. The peninsula is the only part of the classical world that Russia ever conquered. And this is why the Tsarist aristocracy fell in love with it. Crimea symbolized Russia’s 18th and 19th-century fantasy to conquer Constantinople and liberate Greek Orthodox Christians from Muslim rule. Crimea became the imperial playground: In poetry and palaces, it was extolled as the jewel in the Russian crown.

Crimea is the only lost land that Russians really mourn. The reason is tourism. The Soviet Union built on the Tsarist myth and turned the peninsula into a giant holiday camp full of workers sanitariums and pioneer camps. Unlike, the Russian cities of say northern Kazakhstan, Crimea is a place Russians have actually been. Even today over one million Russians holiday in Crimea every year. It is not just a peninsula; this is Russia’s Club Med and imperial romanticism rolled into one.

Vladimir Putin knows this. He knows that millions of Russians will cheer him as a hero if he returns them Crimea. He knows that European bureaucrats will issue shrill statements and then get back to business helping Russian elites buy London town houses and French chateaux. He knows full well that the United States can no longer force Europe to trade in a different way. He knows full well that the United States can do nothing beyond theatrical military maneuvers at most.

This is why Vladimir Putin just invaded Crimea.

He thinks he has nothing to lose.

Read more @ http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2014/03/russia-vladimir-putin-the-west-104134.html?hp=l17#.UxX3vxwU66Z

nailingit — March 4, 2014 at 8:03 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"RTC Board Meeting Tuesday at 4, with the evening BOCC Hearing following at 6."

manthou — March 3, 2014 at 7:18 a.m.

manthou- Anything noteworthy on the BOCC?

nailingit — March 4, 2014 at 8:10 a.m. ( | suggest removal

-LSD, Reconsidered for Therapy-

On Tuesday, The Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease is posting online results from the first controlled trial of LSD in more than 40 years. The study, conducted in the office of a Swiss psychiatrist near Bern, tested the effects of the drug as a complement to talk therapy for 12 people nearing the end of life, including Peter.

Most of the subjects had terminal cancer, and several died within a year after the trial — but not before having a mental adventure that appeared to have eased the existential gloom of their last days. “Their anxiety went down and stayed down,” said Dr. Peter Gasser, who conducted the therapy and followed up with his patients a year after the trial concluded.

The new publication marks the latest in a series of baby steps by a loose coalition of researchers and fund-raisers who are working to bring hallucinogens back into the fold of mainstream psychiatry. Before research was banned in 1966 in the United States, doctors tested LSD’s effect for a variety of conditions, including end-of-life anxiety.

The drug’s effects would last up to 10 hours, after which the patient would sleep on a couch in the office, attended at all times by the therapist or an assistant. “I told them that each session would be right here, in a safe environment, and I am part of it,’” Dr. Gasser said. “I said, ‘I can’t guarantee you won’t have intense distress, but I can tell you that if you do, it will pass.’ ”

And so they did — and indeed it passed, though not always easily. Many wept, most squirmed; one 67-year-old man said he met his long-dead, estranged father somewhere out in the cosmos, nodding in approval.

All talked for periods with Dr. Gasser, who acted as an anchor in the storm and a fellow explorer, tracking the sources of those emotions. In the jargon of the profession, the therapy was patient-centered, open-ended and “integrative,” in that it focused on current habits of thought as well as on long-ago childhood scenes.

Read More @ http://www.nytimes.com/2014/03/04/health/lsd-reconsidered-for-therapy.html?rref=science&module;=Ribbon&version;=context®ion;=Header&action;=click&contentCollection;=Science&pgtype;=article

nailingit — March 4, 2014 at 8:54 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit @ 8:10 am: You asked, "Anything noteworthy on the BOCC?"

No matter what is on the agenda, these rascals are always full of surprises that are off the menu. Who knows? Ya gotta watch 'em like a hungry ol' buzzard.

I am still waiting for them to show the evidence Benton provided that proves he actually needs his own $5000 security system. The reason Madore gave for his unreserved thumbs up? Benton is a "get 'er done" kinda guy and he trusts his judgment. What other CC managers can make such a request and have it granted, no questions asked, no evidence required?

This is why you don't give friends an important job that you supervise: you have trouble saying NO to them and holding them accountable.

The BOCC is always worth watching, if only for Ed Barnes' rants.

manthou — March 4, 2014 at 1:12 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Russia Today Anchor Speaks Out Against Invasion Of Ukraine: 'What Russia Did Is Wrong'

A news anchor for Moscow's English-speaking television network spoke out against Russia's invasion of Ukraine in a move of journalistic bravery Monday night.

Russia Today (RT) anchor Abby Martin spoke into the camera during her broadcast just seconds before cutting to commercial and said that she needed to express something "from her heart."

"What Russia did is wrong," Martin said. "I will not sit here and apologize or defend military aggression."

The Kremlin-funded network has been criticized for manipulating news in defense of Russia's invasion of Ukraine. The network has been slammed for it's "shameless pro-Putin propaganda."

Martin condemned Russia for what she called a "terrible situation" and said she would "keep telling the truth as I see it" if that's what it takes to "prevent a full-blown cold war."

"Just because I work here, for RT, doesn't mean I don't have editorial independence," she said. "I can't stress enough how strongly I am against any state intervention in a sovereign nation's affairs."

I fully agree!

Hawkman — March 4, 2014 at 1:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I don't know how the rest of you feel. But for this administration to offer a 1 billion plus aid package to Ukraine is just crazy to me. We have a health package that is not done yet, kids going hungry because parents aren't working or earning as much, roads falling apart, bridges that are unsafe, veterans fighting for their promised benefits and a multitude of other things that need to be taken care of here at home. When are we going to put our people first?

timerick — March 4, 2014 at 2 p.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick — March 4, 2014 at 2 p.m.

I agree! If the Ukraine wants help, let them ask for it. Until that happens, let them be. Maybe they want Russia to take over, who are we to stand in their way.

You are right Tim, let's take care of our own first.

Hawkman — March 4, 2014 at 3:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Ukraine is already receiving aid from America, but is this billion dollars over and above what is already in the state dept. budget for 2014 foreign aid all together, or are they juggling monies around within the budget to expand aid ot Ukraine. Snooped around the internet earlier and could not find the answer. Because this household is an Oxfam supporter, I do know the state dept budget is about 1% of the budget, not the 20% or more that some Americans have been led to believe.

Have extra time? This could be informative.

jacjak — March 4, 2014 at 4:38 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjac, I realize we support lots of countrys with our money. I think we should quit trying to buy friends and start taking care of or own problems. Most of the countrys we support with money hate us to begin with. Lets solve our own problems first and then if any is left we can help others. I'm starting to think like a isolationalist. I never thought I would. I guess I am tired of seeing us get sand kicked in our faces.

timerick — March 4, 2014 at 4:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou— March 4, 2014 at 1:12 p.m.

You would think a portion of his fan club would call him on the Benton security thing. I might be missing something, but I haven't seen anything about it in the C. If more people knew it might help bring some answers.

Your due diligence with the BOCC and other matters are appreciated.

nailingit — March 4, 2014 at 5:35 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Lobbyist Mark Brown is giving the RTC an earful. Says he has been doing this for 40 some legislative sessions and has never seen such political inertia in Olympia. We need bipartisan. Too many NOs. Worth watching on CVTV in archives.
_________
nailingit: Tyler Graf told me he is working on the issue of Benton's security system request. Wonder where it is, too. I emailed the commissioners and only heard back from Mielke: he scolded me for "hating" Benton and said he was disappointed in me. Funny, though. He did not answer any of my reasonable questions. Wny asking whether Benton has provided evidence of this need is "hating" him is beyond me.

Down the rabbit hole…………….fire up the hookah!

manthou — March 4, 2014 at 5:43 p.m. ( | suggest removal

"he scolded me for "hating" Benton and said he was disappointed in me."

manthou — March 4, 2014 at 5:43 p.m.

Classic psychology.... Statements in the form of questions; questions or statements said in language guarenteed to make those on the receiving end defensive or anxious, seem oversensitive, uncomfortable or embaressed, but mostly there's potential for causing doubt in what was initally thought or asked.

Hokey Pokey politicians need to retire...

jacjak — March 4, 2014 at 6:31 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 4, 2014 at 5:43 p.m.

Sounds like a bit of payback to me - you've chastised the boys a time or two for misbehaving.

roger — March 4, 2014 at 7:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Gee - Was looking for something else on youtube and ran across Melanie Safka. Haven't heard her stuff for years. When talking about the best of the female singers of the era (Janice, Grace, et.al.) she has to be included.

Ruby Tuesday

Lay Down (Candles In The Rain)

roger — March 4, 2014 at 7:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I never knew Melanie's last name, roger. :)

manthou — March 4, 2014 at 9:04 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — March 4, 2014 at 7:52 p.m.

Oh Roger, NO!

Or do you have a brand new pair of roller skates?

Hawkman — March 4, 2014 at 9:48 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nude dancing is protected free speech in Oregon, thanks to a state Supreme Court decision in 2005. Must be why Portland is number one in the country for strip clubs per capita.

Clark County put an emergency moratorium on such establishments last night. Attorney Chris Horne sounded the alarm and the commissioners rammed it through quickly. No prior public notice or public comment. That will come before the 60 day moratorium expires, I reckon.

I sense another expensive legal challenge coming our way and another loss, if courts follow Oregon's lead.

manthou — March 5, 2014 at 6:22 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — March 4, 2014 at 9:48 p.m.

Oh Yes. In my teens I had this thing for good looking "older women", which Melanie definitely was. When I was 16 and living in Arlington VA, I worked after school in a restaurant. There was a waitress going to school at one of the local colleges who used humor me and drag me around to her little hole in the wall clubs in Georgetown. I think I saw Melanie at one of those places - when she became a big star after Woodstock I already knew her music. And my college roomie Murray was a big fan - I could handle his music a lot better than he could put up with my Black Sabbath and other stuff I'd moved on to.

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:23 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 5, 2014 at 6:22 a.m.,

Just as with Red and Blue states, regional differences, etc, we've got our own little cultural war here. The County Comms are definitely pushing the Family Values agenda - whether it be this, panhandling, praying, or just flat out protecting the 'Burbs from the evil influences of that city south of the river.

Ever since you started talking about the Asian foot massage girls, I've been noticing that all the nail salons are manned by Asians. How far removed are these girls from the massage ones - perhaps they work for the same people?

If you're going to fit in outside of that little downtown section, I suggest you start with a Jeep Wrangler - with the rear window sticker saying "Jeeps are for Girls, Silly Boy."

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:37 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:23 a.m.

I guess I can't blame you too much. I had the same affliction when I saw Rindy Ross on the sax for the first time in a bar in downtown Portland. Man, can she play the sax! And sing.

Hawkman — March 5, 2014 at 6:46 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"Ever since you started talking about the Asian foot massage girls, I've been noticing that all the nail salons are manned by Asians."

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:37 a.m.

These Asian girls are taking over the medical profession also!

As long as they don't control auto supply and tire centers.

nailingit — March 5, 2014 at 8:07 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Music memory lane: First time I saw Rindy Ross, the group was pre Quarterflash, Seafood Mama. Helvetia Tavern. 1977.

roger: There is a culture clash here in Clark County, for sure. But hey, I drive a truck every so often, so I can move between groups, unnoticed. :)

The nail salons: oh yeah. They can be another form of indentured servitude, too. I won't go near them. Same principle, really, as the "massage" businesses who force the labor and long hours, only there is no happy ending. If there were no customers, they would not thrive so much. Americans don't want to spend too much money in either endeavor, I guess, so they proliferate.

manthou — March 5, 2014 at 8:09 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Testing, testing...123.
Hey, is this thing on?

Drift — March 5, 2014 at 4:40 p.m. ( | suggest removal

HUH?

Hawkman — March 5, 2014 at 5:03 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I sort of remember Quarterflash - Harden My Heart, right?

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — March 5, 2014 at 8:07 a.m.

They're everywhere, but I can't place one at an auto part store yet. Last decent haircut I've gotten here was from an Asian lady named Maya, at Supercuts. She suddenly was gone, and I was told her vision got bad and she had to retire. I knew all about her garden and what she grew in it - the lady could talk without ever stopping to take a breath.

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:33 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 5, 2014 at 8:09 a.m.,

Hmmm... A spy, sneaking out here to Bubbatown to keep an eye on us, huh?

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal

hm, I could not post earlier, did not let me come in. Did others have issues?

luvithere — March 5, 2014 at 6:45 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I sort of remember Quarterflash - Harden My Heart, right?

roger — March 5, 2014 at 6:24 p.m.

Yup! Seafood Mama/Quarterflash. Their record company changed their name thinking it was more "hip". Personally, I like Seafood Mama, guess I'm just not that hip.

I DO love a good sax.

Ever see "Eddie and the Cruisers"? 1&2? My kind of music.

Hawkman — March 5, 2014 at 6:47 p.m. ( | suggest removal

No - not big on movies. But I've heard some of John Cafferty and whatever his band was called - good stuff. Sounds a bit like Bruce Springsteen.

roger — March 5, 2014 at 7:24 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — March 5, 2014 at 7:24 p.m.

Yea, sure. Springsteen but with a voice.

Hawkman — March 5, 2014 at 11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Lions and Tigers and Strip clubs, oh my.

But it's OK, really. The County employees will be armed, just in case of a naked emergency.

Hawkman — March 6, 2014 at 6:24 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman: The CC Commission: I watch them in action and continue to shake my head in wonderment. Steve Stuart, too. They willingly take controversial stands that only increase their liability and marginalize the opinions of their employees. The Risk Pool will be cutting them loose any day now.

Nude dancing is considered a First Amendment expression by many legal scholars and is protected by the Constitution.

Exposing employees to colleagues who carry guns to work can also be construed as creating a hostile workplace environment.

They ignore some of the critical issues they need to act on in favor of these diversions. They make decisions based on ideology, not evidence.

Anyone going to the State of the County event today? If I go, I am donning a black arm band.

manthou — March 6, 2014 at 7:19 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Glad to see Don Benton rallying in Olympia today on behalf of the homeless.

He and Pam Roach have recently voted with the Dems on a couple of issues, causing a bit of anxiety from their pals on the Majority Coalition Caucus in the Senate.

While I am glad to see their apparent bipartisan support, I cannot help but wonder: is this simply a payback gesture to slap their caucus upside its collective head?

The Columbian gave Benton good publicity for his participation in the bipartisan rally today: Fair coverage.

Anyway, I don't care what Benton's motives are: let's see more of this crossing the aisle stuff for the benefit of the vulnerable, OK?

manthou — March 6, 2014 at 7:39 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Any thoughts on nude dancing in Clark county?

The Libertarian in me laps it up and wants access. No restrictions, no clothes, and no employee health care. Yeah!!

The Democrat in me wants fairness for both workers and customers. Access with regulations in place.

The Vegas in me understands many times these places are run by local organized crime, (assuming it's the same here) and invites a clientele mama wouldn't approve of.

The Republican in me (get the exorcist) is appalled! The idea people dance nude and make money doing it is preposterous. Conservative cousins dance for free!

What to do?

nailingit — March 6, 2014 at 7:47 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 6, 2014 at 7:19 a.m.

Love the black armband idea!

nailingit — March 6, 2014 at 7:59 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit: We're going to have to get you into treatment for multiple personalities. May I call you Sybil? :)

The scientist in me wants to know: what are the significant secondary effects to communities that accompany these establishments? Many studies now demonstrate that the original studies that showed negative secondary effects (increased crime) were completed using "junk" science and that there is no solid evidence to show that secondary effects exist.

Law enforcement and government rely on this "secondary effects" argument when they create laws against strip clubs, with some success.

I am torn, too. Free speech is protected, even when some people find the content offensive. Organized crime: well, it sometimes comes with the territory and no one wants it in their backyard.

Just like the controversy over wineries and distilleries, some Clark County residents are going to be brandishing pitchforks and oil torches over nude dancing in their neighborhoods. If there are true secondary negative effects, then maybe they should be kept in certain commercial zones.

Bottom line: I detected panic in Chris Horne's voice on Tuesday night. This poor guy has been juggling so many hot legal potatoes, he should be treated for third degree burns.

manthou — March 6, 2014 at 8:15 a.m. ( | suggest removal

BTW, WSU Vancouver has some well-known forensic scientists in its Psychology Department.

What a great idea for a Columbian journalist to interview one of them to see what current best practices research says about the "secondary effects" of strip clubs to communities. Let's hear from some experts and get the emotion tamped down. Separate the signal from the noise (thanks Nate Silver).

Hint. Hint. :D

Here, let me get you started:

manthou — March 6, 2014 at 8:27 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 6, 2014 at 8:27 a.m.

There seems to be much case law that sides with nude dancing hang outs.

"nude dancing triggers First Amendment protections."

...and a few others!

This issue is truly about 'where the rubber meets the road'. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcYppA...

I wonder how our forum "conservatives" feel about this.

nailingit — March 6, 2014 at 9:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Ba da bing, nailingit.

This issue can create some great community discussions. At the heart of both issues is the Constitution (First and Second Amendments) and whether personal ideology and preferences and perceived or real risk trump the law.

I suspect there are many liberals who would say, "No concealed weapons at work for any reason" and some conservatives who would say, "No strip clubs anywhere here."

Can a reasonable compromise be reached? How do we rationalize supporting amendment rights for one issue and not the other?

I dunno. Tune in tomorrow for the next episode of "As Clark County Turns."

manthou — March 6, 2014 at 1:17 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — March 5, 2014 at 11 p.m.,

That Springsteen comparison is a compliment. As for voice - Bob Dylan is a bit lacking, but he's still the master.

roger — March 6, 2014 at 6:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Nude dancing. Some of the county fairs back East had a "Men Only" tent back in the day. I snuck under the tent to watch - was about 14 or 15. Highly disappointed; I was expecting someone like Marilyn Monroe, and got something forum decency prevents me from describing. Went to a bar in PA when 21 that had a pair of dancers who fired the crowd up with their tassel twirling skills - but they were about 40 and 5 kids each, and the crowd had to average 60. (Sigh.) Went to a pole dancing stage bar in Indianapolis in my early 30s - a tad bit more entertaining, but the dead eyes (junkies?) and the fawning over the scraggly guys with all the dollar bills was a turn off. Now, there was a bar girl in Korea who was actually worth watching - but she wore a bikini and didn't strip.

roger — March 6, 2014 at 6:28 p.m. ( | suggest removal

As for weapons, my biggest fear is having them in the hands of people who don't know how to use them. I'd pretty much guarantee you pass someone with a concealed carry permit almost every day. I'd like to see training standards toughened up - a lot - before one is issued. Kind of like old sensei didn't teach you how to really hurt someone until he was sure you wouldn't use it except as a last recourse.

roger — March 6, 2014 at 6:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

About a hundred years ago went to a male strip club in Portland with all the women coworkers. Our female employer was the host. Had lots of fun, great laughs, saw cute guys carry on a bit. Didn't get mugged, thugged, bugged, or snugged anywhere near the place, and saw none o those joisey boys neither. And, did I mention it was Portland. Tho, to be fair, it was about a hundred years ago, think calico was still in fashion.

Can't say anything about the female dancers, tho through media images have about the same impression as roger discribed. Remember somewhere in early 90's there was a stripper murdered by some stalker guy. She was dancing to finish a college degree in precious metals and jewelry design. I remember that because I thought the degree was unusual. That also happened in Portland.

jacjak — March 6, 2014 at 7:27 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I've been to a few of them while I was doing service work. One on Powell and one in Tualatin and one on Interstate Blvd. Only a couple of the girls were "interesting", most should have NEVER taken it all off. One was quite creative though, it involved ice.

Today's news about Albertson's and Safeway is no shocker. I'm interested in how it's all going to shake out here in BG. We have one of each...... Who will close. I'm guessing Safeway.

Hawkman — March 6, 2014 at 7:39 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Just curious, would only County employees be able to carry guns in their workplace? How about employees of other entities or employments, or when a county employee enters another place where firearms are restricted? Like schools, courts, Winco, etc? Seems decidedly convoluted.... Beginning to feel like Clark County is being proselytized by regulation, initiative, and referendum.

jacjak — March 6, 2014 at 8:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Quick, quick! Look outside.... clear sky! Moon and stars! Vaguely remember them.... had to check Google sky map to be sure what I was seeing, it's been so long...

jacjak — March 6, 2014 at 8:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Given this forum's social construct and lessons learned from the past, I'll decline to bare testimony with regards to personally attending such places of ill repute.

But let me say this.

I've seen things.

Things late night info commercials would be envious of. Things circus freaks have only dreamt about. Things capable of performing human feats beyond the wildest imaginations.

I've seen things.

nailingit — March 6, 2014 at 8:27 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk & Nail. I have been to these places also. But I went just for the music.

timerick — March 6, 2014 at 9:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal

timerick: And you read Playboy for the high quality journalism, too. :)
__________
Someone at C cubed G squared says Benton wears an AK-15 tie clip to work and suggests this whole gun brouhaha at CC comes from his desire to conceal carry there.

roger: Death of the CRC today or Sunday? Carolyn Crain is taking Madore's lead and crowing about getting to work on new bridge designs. While I believe in getting the peasants involved early, their start-from-the-bottom-and-work-your-way-up strategy is going to seriously piss off the power brokers who lost this CRC dream.
____________
Marissa Harshman tweets that profits from the Stupid mug sales went to an Employee Appreciation Day at the C.

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:35 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Correction: AR-15 tie clip and, by golly, they exist:

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:38 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Anonymous commenters: play nice or be exposed. Judge orders Philly.com to unmask troll who called someone a "pedophile"

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

A site I stumbled across - perhaps people who grew up here would enjoy it. They say they list all the Pacific Northwest bands from years past, though there's a lot of the names not listed (like all the Riot Grrrl bands from the early '90s). I was surprised to see Blue Cheer was actually from Spokane - I always knew them as a San Francisco band. When in high school I was in a band that never went anywhere (meaning we never got gigs) - we sort of mastered their version of Summertime Blues. I loved it - though it horrified the Yummie Yummie Yummie crowd that made up a large part of our intended audience. We were playing it to audition for our high school talent show - about a minute into it the principal walked in, gave the cut sign, and observed that our crap was completely unacceptable in his school.

roger — March 7, 2014 at 6:54 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:35 a.m.
Don't forget - Steve Stuart wants this allowed too. Think back a couple of months, when at the County Comm meetings the guy in camo hat would come in and complain about the elk having some sort of hoof rot problem that was causing them to die. At one session he and Steve talked for a while about how this was unacceptable because they liked to hunt down and blow the critters away. (Sorry, but I'm not a fan of sport hunting.)

roger — March 7, 2014 at 7:15 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:35 a.m.
I'm of the same opinion as Hart Noecker says in his comment to the article - don't be surprised if the two governors announce they'll keep it open a while longer and search for other possible ways to get it done. Metro will continue fighting to keep Kitz from dropping it - LRT into Clark County is essential to promoting their regional control over transportation and development. And I figured Inslee was bought when he appointed Lynn Peterson to WSDOT.

So - we'll see.

roger — March 7, 2014 at 7:27 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — March 6, 2014 at 8:27 p.m.
I suspect some of us who've been overseas can tell a few stories. We had our own Airborne bar in Balboa Panama (no Legs allowed) that was pretty raunchy. And while driving around Spain we detoured to Portugal - stopped in some little town in the hills where a donkey was part of the show at the local bar.

roger — March 7, 2014 at 7:38 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: I noticed Hart's comment and wondered if he was on to something. He is a player and keeps up with the scoop more than most. So much money has been spent and there is so much political skin in the game to let the CRC go quietly into that good night…..I have no idea of what surprise may be waiting in the wings.

Oh, yeah. I know Steve Stuart is a hunter and carries a concealed weapon. Can't blame this movement to "bring your gun to work every day" at CC on Don Benton alone.

You are referring to Bruce Barnes, Ed's son, the hoof rot guy. He really has goosed local and state government into noticing the problem. Ed certainly raised his kids to speak out and hang on. Better than being spectator citizens, for sure.

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 7:45 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — March 7, 2014 at 6:54 a.m.

Thanks for the site. Perusing through rock band names this early while working on coffee might trigger a flashback.

I was a big Blue Cheer fan and would have bet bottom dollar they originated in Frisco. According to Wiki they did.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue Cheer

Thought I'd share my two (with a little honey) favorite Blue Cheer songs.

nailingit — March 7, 2014 at 8:55 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Again-with this gun issue. It's a diversion. It brings together republicans M & M have lost due to incompetency and skulduggery.

(Yes-skulduggery!)

What do these two want to be known for at election time both now and in the future? Certainly not for their controversial actions to include hiring practices, but the ones who championed 2nd Amendment rights and brought God's almighty gun message to patriotic Clark County residents.

It's a ruse, and was well thought out and executed nicely.

A shiny object for local conservatives, and something that needs to be addressed by all.

Look for other conservative hot button topics to consume the commission and CC GOP leadership till election time.

Political prestidigitation. :)

nailingit — March 7, 2014 at 9:49 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"It’s the day you’ve all been waiting for: The State of Clark County. It’s like Christmas wrapped in the Fourth of July, ensconced in a straight jacket made of Halloween."

manthou- Have fun and don't forget to dosido!

nailingit — March 7, 2014 at 9:58 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Nail-
I went to these places for the food. Some of the best Gentlemen's clubs are in the South, like Atlanta...Best steak I've ever had, and the views were outstanding as long as that darn pole wasn't in the way....
BTW I do carry most of the time...

vanwadreamer — March 7, 2014 at 11:46 a.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwadreamer — March 7, 2014 at 11:46 a.m.

I'm glad you carry protection in those places. I've heard stories about one thing leading to another...

"and the views were outstanding as long as that darn pole wasn't in the way...."

I had the same thing happen. Only it was some fat asian dude from Manilla who wouldn't sit down.

How do you feel about nude hangouts in Vancouver? I've never been to any around here, but I understand Portland has more than it's share. The older I get, and for quite awhile now, I tend to stick around home for my 'food and music'.

I think ownership would be key. Portland & Seattle places with a good track record might work here.

It sounds like an investigative piece is in order.

Should I carry for protection?

nailingit — March 7, 2014 at 12:45 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well as we get older I think our views change a bit.. But I have been to a couple in Portland about 10 years ago. The south "Atlanta" had such a "Professional" feel about them. The few in Portland still have a different feel about them...The Single Barrel malts in the South were better too. My wife even went with me on my birthday once. We went with a group of couples one night and I have to say my wife wasn't as prudish as I thought she might be. I definitely know she wouldn't want our DD working there though. Have to also admit I a have two clients who work in an establishment in Portland and are working there way through college.. They are also never late with a payment...You are right, ownership is key...

So what do you think if Hillary doesn't run in 16.. Was reading some thing from the Post that there seems to be getting a little traction that some very Important dems arn't liking what she has been saying lately... Do you think her age will have an impact on her decision too. She will be almost 70 and she has been through allot of wars personally and professionally.

vanwadreamer — March 7, 2014 at 1:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 7:45 a.m.,

Hart Noecker has been involved with the anti-CRC group for a long time. The pro-CRC crowd on this side of the river tries their hardest to portray the antis as just a bunch of old, stuck in the mud neocons who are afraid of progress. Far from true. Some of the antis are Tom Buchele, managing attorney and clinical professor at the Pacific Environmental Advocacy Center at Lewis & Clark Law School; Joe Cortright, President and principal economist for Impresa, a Portland consulting firm specializing in regional economic analysis, innovation and industry clusters; Jim Howell, strategic planning director for the Association of Oregon Rail and Transit Advocates; and Hart Noecker, cyclist, vegan, filmmaker, radical urbanist, and writer at: http://mismanagingperception.com All actually favor light rail - their opposition stems from how the CRC does very little to make public transportation attractive to commuters, and will just lead to traffic backups around Portland contributing to a rise in pollution there. Norquist's assessment of the real cost of the CRC (closer to $10 billion for the full build plan) is supported by hard data in his Plaid Pantry report.

roger — March 7, 2014 at 1:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

I took a gander at the Waters blog. If Decker would have sounded this reasonable during his campaign he wouldn't have lost by so much.

So much for opinionated free speech on this blog. It's Lew's way or the highway. I understand why conservatives tend to feel insulted and persecuted so often. Having indefensible views while claiming all the answers, has to be tough in the world, let alone facing up to one's self daily. It can lead to non relevancy from isolation, inducing bouts of crankiness and irrational thought.

Our local tea republicans, along with their Ron Paul party squabblings, unelectable candidates, and Fox news mindset represent what is happening nationwide.

Frank Decker-Feel free to comment here. Although I thought many of your campaign positions were wrong, and your facebook comments many times screamed buffoonery, I and others would welcome you.

BTW- Some great insightful comments concerning teacher evals and education in the midst of a bellowing storm. Bravo!

nailingit — March 7, 2014 at 3:02 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Just got a notice from ODOT that the CRC is closing down. I got a very nice email, too, from an Oregon legislator: we're gonna kill it because who needs a bridge project without bistate support?

No construction downtown to endure. I was looking forward to riding light rail from Vancouver to PDX, though.

Let me know if there are fireworks in Clark County tonight. I am at the sunny beach. What a day here.

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:10 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit: I was impressed with Frank Decker's comments to Lew Waters, as well. A tea party teacher. Go figure. Maybe he can make a dent in their misperceptions. If he comments like this more often, he just might get elected.

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:13 p.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 7, 2014 at 5:10 p.m.

There is a large billboard on the 205 south of Portland that lays into the OR legislature for even considering going it alone. I think they really lacked any support from the public or the legislature. Too much money for not much in return.

VanWa. Question for you - why does Hilary's age matter? Did it matter for old Ronnie? It did not. So why for her? Why don't we check on other candidates, say McCain, and HIS age.
So either this is gender discrimination or just the usual Hilary bashing. Now I saw Rush on that same bandwagon, naturally, soooo.....

luvithere — March 7, 2014 at 5:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwadreamer — March 7, 2014 at 1:10 p.m.

Ohhhh, "almost 70" , back up the ambulance. So in 16, Romney will be 68, McCain will be 79!!! 79!!!

I'm thinking "almost 70" ain't so bad.

Hawkman — March 7, 2014 at 5:58 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — March 7, 2014 at 5:58 p.m.
Obviously it is if you are Rush (who started that talk) and a woman.
Considering Ronnie was already senile when he was in office....

Bet you that chatter will get louder and louder. They have to harp on something.

By the way, how old is Rush?
(captcha includes the word relic. How appropriate).

luvithere — March 7, 2014 at 6:14 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Well, if my math is correct, Hill will have just turned 69 a couple of weeks before she gets elected. That's still young - a lot of people are still working. Her biggest problem will be that Bill will only be 70 - any bets on whether he sets up a private office over in Georgetown?

roger — March 7, 2014 at 6:59 p.m. ( | suggest removal

vanwadreamer — March 7, 2014 at 1:10 p.m.

Part II,

So riddle me this, Vanwaaaa,

If you are miffed about Hill since "she has been through "allot" of wars personally and professionally", which is worse "in your mind" someone who has all that experience or someone with no experience (Obama)? Or Rush?

Hawkman — March 7, 2014 at 7:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — March 7, 2014 at 7:37 p.m.
oh stop. That's way too much to think about now for some.

luvithere — March 7, 2014 at 7:52 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Go, Hillary! What a fantastic President she will make.

My question: who would make the best VP for her?
______________________
roger: A journalist at the O called the environmental/far right alliance against the CRC, "The Green Tea Party." Cute. The far right either could not understand or did not read the full Friends of Oregon report, because it assailed rural Clark County's addiction to its vehicles and its politics, I enjoy unholy alliances and the collective and surprising power they bring. It won't be long, though, before the far right is assailing tree huggers again, now that they have little use for them. Or could it be the beginning of a new tolerance for diverse opinion?

Madore is on to something when he says: get support for a bridge from the ground up. If the public buys it first, there will be less resistance from the start. One can hope.

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 7:44 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Tyler Graf knocked another one out of the park in his newest APIL blog, holding Mielke accountable for critical facts omitted in his state of the county speech (glad the truth-o-meter works):

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 7:53 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 7:44 a.m.,

Tolerance for diverse opinion? Neither side is going to stoop to that. Read Jim Moeller's comment - He will oppose any other bridge project until the I5 bridge is replaced.

I'm quite certain most of the anti-CRC crowd knows little or nothing about the motivations of the Oregon side opposition - nor do they know anything more about Joe Cortright that his analysis of cost of the CRC. Most of the Oregon opposition understood that the CRC would do little to remove cars from the road, and the main outcome would be to create more morning time congestion in Portland, thus increasing the pollution there.

roger — March 8, 2014 at 8:12 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger: Just an anecdote from yesterday's personal experience.

We were leaving town for the Oregon coast. Crossed 1-5 South on the bridge just fine at 1 pm. Once we reached Oregon, we were greeted by a freeway parking lot. We inched our way to MLK to N Lombard to US 30 and Cornelius Pass Road to get to US 26. Add 30 minutes on to the trip.

I wonder if there will be any post mortems on this deceased CRC project? I'd love to see the final report.

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 9:25 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.
Good morning, Manthou. A decent post mortem would require the truth to come out. Expect either a sorry excuse or nothing.

Oregon needs to first fix their traffic woes in Portland itself. Before they even start on any construction there (ain't going to happen anyway), I would also suggest that the state implement a gridlock law. When we got that in LA, it took a very short time to feel the difference. While traffic still sucks on surface street, avoiding the clogged intersections did a miracle. Drivers actually caught on to it fast.
Then there's the question of accurately timed lights. Another big fail over there in Portland.
Then they can get started on construction of something to ease the pain of sitting on the freeways. I have rarely seen such convoluted, badly designed freeways and streets as they got over there.
I don't want to hear about a new bridge until they have looked in the mirror and acknowledged their own failings. Light rail doesn't even enter the equation for me at this point.

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 9:36 a.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere: Tell us more about the LA gridlock law, please! Never heard of such an animal, but it is intriguing.

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 9:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Manthou, if you ever go to Airport Way and then try to go onto the freeway, notice how cars block intersection? Meaning cars who are on a green light cannot move or also block intersection? Down there, you have to stop, your car cannot block an intersection. So even if you are on a green light, if you cannot make it onto a spot past the intersection as cars are stopped, you need to stop and wait for the next light. You cannot block the intersection. That little law really did wonders. Even the southern Californians caught on very fast. Amazing.

Early so my explanation might not be the finest.

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 9:57 a.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere: Yeah. Makes for a good law. I see that is was passed in 1987. I have noticed some very polite drivers who refuse to enter an intersection on a green light if there is no where to go beyond the intersection, but they are few and far between it seems.

Here is a recent study that lists the current top ten US cities for gridlock. LA is still #1 (my husband tells me that I-5 there is called the "Orange (County) Crush." Seattle is #8:

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 10:03 a.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.

Does that include a "no right turn on red" portion? That's one of the big problems I see at 205 ans Airport Way. The people traveling West keep filling the on-ramp so when the East bound people get the green light, it's full and they have nowhere to go.

BTW, I don't know what they are trying to construct there but it's sure taking lots of time.

Hawkman — March 8, 2014 at 10:09 a.m. ( | suggest removal

This morning, while being serviced by Dick Hannah, (that doesn't sound quite right) I brought up the C on my communication device. These things are pretty cool. Anyway...

I can't help but think when Don Benton does do something egregiously harmful, it won't be taken as seriously as it should be. With Lou taking every opportunity to cheap shot Benton, as in today's Press talk, when something does happen, well, it'll just be perceived by many as another over the top criticism about the guy and the merits will be secondary or left by the wayside.

Personally, I can't see one redeeming value in Benton. But to smack him down at every journalistic opportunity, and the editor gets many, will mitigate possible future wrongdoings by this guy.

Or is that the plan. Doubt it.

Just a thought.

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 10:14 a.m. ( | suggest removal

manthou — March 8, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.

I quit using 26 to get to the coast - seemed like every time I went that way someone wrecked and we sat forever. If going to Seaside I'll take the St Johns Bridge route you detoured to and go up the 30, or up to Longview and over (depends where I'm at). If the weather is nice and I'm not in a hurry, I kind of like the 6 down to Tillamook. And if going much south of Tillamook, then it's to McMinnville and the 18 - which is by far the best of the roads to the coast I've used.

But I don't go there from about October to April or May - too windy and cold.

roger — March 8, 2014 at 10:20 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I agree Nail. Lou needs to find a new tree to climb. I don't care for Benton anymore than you do. But until he does or doesn't do something to incriminate his self Lou needs to back off a little.

timerick — March 8, 2014 at 10:27 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — March 8, 2014 at 10:09 a.m.

It does. NO blocking anywhere for any reasons. And I know what you mean. Trying to get on bridge making a right turn at that spot is a nightmare at certain hours.
I THINK they are trying to construct another lane to go on bridge so we do not need to all merge onto one there. But I have no idea why it is taking that long. Of course, every time I see it, nobody seems to be actually working.

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 10:34 a.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 9:57 a.m.,

I check the ODOT cameras before leaving work. I like the Airport Way route, because if it's clear it's usually the fastest way. But if traffic is backed up, it gets even worse with the ramp coming onto Airport from Cascade Station. The main problem is all the people who think they shouldn't have to wait in line, so they'll drive up near the southbound exit and cut in line. Then you have the people who are passive enough that they'll let them in if they stop and put their turn signal on. SO - if you've been sitting in that line for 30 minutes, getting pissed because of the people described above, once you get to that light at the southbound off ramp, you're going through. If you don't, one of those "cut in line jerks" will jump in at that spot. And it's also poorly designed - the outside turn lane for the freeway on ramp starts too close, so even if you're through the intersection you can easily be blocking the inside left turn lane from the exit ramp.

I've found my own "secret" way onto I205 north for that area - one that doesn't involve cutting in front of others. Maybe a 10 minute wait when traffic is bad.

roger — March 8, 2014 at 10:47 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — March 8, 2014 at 10:47 a.m.

Spill the beans, Mister.

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 10:51 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 10:14 a.m.
timerick — March 8, 2014 at 10:27 a.m.

Consider that he's targeting those who were most outspoken against the CRC. His bosses (the Campbell family) are part of Identity Clark County, and possibly (actually probably) got their bailouts a few years ago in exchange for being a mouthpiece for the goals of that organization. They'll also step up the attacks on Ann Rivers and JHB if it looks like Benton and Madore/Mielke have lost their backers.

The paper was also fairly neutral on the Tesoro project at first. Once Cain said that will kill the Waterfront project, they've started changing their tune there too. The problem they've got is that I think they realize there's not a lot that anyone here can do to keep the trains from passing by, even if they don't stop. I'm guessing they were willing to accept coal trains (they've been passing for quite some time), but the increase in crude being railed from Bakken kind of caught them by surprise. My opinion is that we may see another delay for building to start, and if WA state doesn't turn down the expansions up north, then Waterfront dies. (It may do so anyhow - light rail was important to attracting all the apartment dwellers.) We'll see.

roger — March 8, 2014 at 11:06 a.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 10:51 a.m.

A clue - you have to go south to go north.

roger — March 8, 2014 at 11:08 a.m. ( | suggest removal

"Do you think her age will have an impact on her decision too. She will be almost 70 and she has been through allot of wars personally and professionally."

vanwadreamer — March 7, 2014 at 1:10 p.m.

I'm going against the grain with this, but I think vanwa asked a great question, and one Dems should be asking ourselves leading up to 2016.

Optics in a presidential election year mean a lot. Having someone in office in their mid to late seventies isn't optimal. Comparisons don't mean a lot in my opinion. Some folks are youthful for their age and some are old. Some are crazy. Mindset & health are key.

Hillary's age is a negative. But her experiences getting there more than overshadow her senior status woes. Along with a brilliant resume, Hillary would garner the women's vote in record numbers. Hillary has the connections, the power, and the money all in her favor.

But those age optics play out in a presidential election, when many who vote stick their finger in the air, or let the latest TV ad decide their vote.

Republicans will have youth at the plate. Rubio, Cruz, and Paul to name a few. Although these three are deeply flawed, all are energetic and good salesmen.

Fortunately we have debates, voting records, defined ideological party differences, past actions, etc. etc. for an informed vote.

It's the uninformed/misinformed voters that are of concern. Voters who vote appearance rather than policy. That "hopey-changey" thing. Look how close Palin came to sitting in the White house. (Let alone McCain)

I still have a hard time believing Dubya/Cheney were elected to a second term. A testament to how stupid, idiotic, misinformed ideologically misguided voters can steal an election. Also a testament to a weak Democratic party unable to field an acceptable/attractive candidate.

Would love to discuss Hillary alternatives at some point, and as manthou mentioned, possible VP candidates.

Hillary will win if/when she runs and would make a great president. Bill back in the house! A conservatives nightmare! I'm looking forward to Dem debates and differing views on progressivism, income inequality, tax code change, etc., and the direction the party is headed. Subjects Dems need to have a serious discussion about.

Sorry for the long wind. Too much coffee this morning.

___

Forget all the above...

BERNIE SANDERS FOR PRESIDENT!

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 11:19 a.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.,

I'm thinking if Hillary gets the nomination it means the Democratic party is moving back to the center. As near as I can tell, there aren't that many centrist Repubs being discussed - maybe Jeb Bush.

Without question (in my mind) Hillary will easily beat the Rubio/Cruz/Paul types. I'd say a lot of the country is tired of the extremes of the two parties running the show.

I'm also thinking there are a few Dems who should fear a Hillary nomination. The Clintons have a long memory, and they were stabbed in the back by Ted Kennedy and his crowd back in '08.

roger — March 8, 2014 at 11:56 a.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — March 8, 2014 at 11:06 a.m.

I think Lou is over the top with repetitive Benton bashing. Insults are personal in nature and many times, as in today's PT, will go to any lengths to make them. I think people are getting numb to it.

Besides, Madore & Meilke seem to have taken a back seat. I want them to get their weekly comeuppance also!

Unless I've missed it, Lou hasn't addressed Benton's latest security expenditure, a real issue that could set a costly precedent, or gone into any length about county employees bringing weapons to work.

How about some interviews regarding weapons in the workplace, a cost benefit analysis with Benton's latest pork, hell, Lew Landers errantly sent gossipy e-mail has yet to be seen by this paper's viewership.

I'm seldom critical of the C, but things don't seem to be managed as well as they used to be. (Reduction in staff?) Even road conditions/accident/commute reporting seems to lag...

But I damn well know where I can buy a 'Don't Do Stupid Stuff' mug.

Priorities? Or maybe what is within reach of accomplishment.

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 11:57 a.m. ( | suggest removal

BERNIE SANDERS FOR PRESIDENT!
nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

Too bad this stands no chance.

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 12:01 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 11:19 a.m.

OK so Hillary is going to be 69 in 2016. That's not old, especially for "our generation" who I suspect are in the majority for voters. The big thing is going to be the VP nomination. It's going to have to be someone who can carry the younger voters but not dominate the election.

Hawkman — March 8, 2014 at 1:19 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvit- The country needs to have a realistic conversation on the merits and pitfalls of socialism and capitalism in our free society. Both are intertwined and woven into America's fabric, but used to be much more balanced before Reagan. Now it's all like cheap 80's polyester crap that shrunk in the wash.

What definable role each plays into creating positive economic growth and development, and by what measure and degree we lend either philosophy in fixing our economy should be discussed at length. Having a system that's not only meritocratic in nature, but one that allows a venue for equal footing. The American way!

If not Bernie...Eisenhower?

A few years of Ike would heal our nation. Check out this Robert Reich article. I think it takes the conversation in the right direction.

My proposal to raise the marginal tax to 70 percent on incomes over $15 million, to 60 percent on incomes between $5 million and $15 million, and to 50 percent on incomes between $500,000 and $5 million, has generated considerable debate. Some progressives think it’s pie-in-the-sky. Here, for example, is Andrew Leonard, a staff writer for Salon:

"A 70 percent tax bracket for the richest Americans is pure fantasy – even suggesting it represents such a fundamental disconnect with the world as it exists today that it is hard to see why it should be taken seriously. I would be deeply worried about the sanity of a Democratic president who proposed such a thing."

Fantasy? I don’t know Mr. Leonard’s age but perhaps he could be forgiven for not recalling that between the late 1940s and 1980 America’s highest marginal rate averaged above 70 percent. Under Republican President Dwight Eisenhower it was 91 percent. Not until the 1980s did Ronald Reagan slash it to 28 percent. (Many considered Reagan’s own proposal a “fantasy” before it was enacted.)

Incidentally, during these years the nation’s pre-tax income was far less concentrated at the top than it is now. In the mid-1970s, for example, the top 1 percent got around 9 percent of total income. By 2007, they got 23.5 percent. So if anything, the argument for a higher marginal tax should be even more realistic now than it was during the days when it was taken for granted.

A disconnect with the world as it exists today? That’s exactly the point of proposing it. For years progressives have whined that Democratic presidents (Clinton, followed by Obama) compromise with Republicans while Republican presidents (Reagan through W) stand their ground – with the result that the center of political debate has moved steadily rightward. That’s the reason the world exists the way it does today. Isn’t it about time progressives had the courage of our conviction and got behind what we believe in, in the hope of moving the debate back to where it was?

Read More @ http://www.csmonitor.com/Business/Robert-Reich/2011/0216/A-super-high-tax-for-the-super-rich-Wouldn-t-be-the-first-time.

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 3:19 p.m. ( | suggest removal

nailingit — March 8, 2014 at 3:19 p.m.

Well yes, I agree with your point. I am just not convinced that this nation can have a decent conversation about anything related to socialism. a. most people obviously completely misunderstand it is here and has been here, b. the right has done a terrific job on a certain sub population by presenting it as the absolute worst thing in the world that will lead to the demise of the nation as we know it, bla bla bla und so weiter und so fort. History plays no role in this kind of world view, one does not look at history besides picking only what fits one's own world view.

On the positive side, we will be dining at Otto and Anita's Schnitzelhaus tonight. Never ate there but has to better than Gustav's pseudo german food.

luvithere — March 8, 2014 at 3:35 p.m. ( | suggest removal

HEY KIDS!!!

DON'T FORGET TO "SPRING FORWARD" TONIGHT!!!!

Hawkman — March 8, 2014 at 8:36 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere: Give us your review of Otto's and Anita's. I understand they do all the cooking and baking themselves. What did you order?
_________
Any thoughts on Don Benton's circumventing his signed employment agreement with the rubber stamp OK by Mark McCauley and M and M?

Good work, Tyler Graf. Please fill us in on the special security system, too. :)

manthou — March 9, 2014 at 8:45 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Manthou. Was very good food. I had the Zigeuner Schnitzel, hubby had Jaeger Schnitzel. Comes with Spaetzle, but the Bavarian type (shorter, rounder). Also with freshly made and cooked spinach, German style- absolutely first rate. Yes, they make the food fresh in small batches. I wanted the Maultaschen but they were already out of them. Pastries were for take-home only, no way was there room for dessert after dinner. Strongly recommend a reservation; they seem to have large parties and just a few tables for walk-ins. And they were busy. So yes, I do recommend eating there.

I am not sure what to make out of Benton's double dipping. I think I am just at the point of being numb to the stupidity over there. A verbal agreement? Ok, then, I think all employees should do this from now on. Get double paid on vacation when checking an email, you name it.
Does the county gov exist now for the sole benefit of Benton????

Good editorial by Jayne today. Not sure what Ann Rivers is thinking signing off on a bill like that. Did I fall asleep and wake up in the bible belt and its hypocrites?

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 11 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Did I fall asleep and wake up in the bible belt and its hypocrites?

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 11 a.m.

Not sure about the bible belt, but hypocrites abound in this new age of Clark County's self serving bias. The biblical standard is just an easy go-to in order to find endorsement for sanctimonious judgements of anything done or thought by The Others.

jacjak — March 9, 2014 at 11:33 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — March 8, 2014 at 1:19 p.m.

I think a male on a Hillary ticket is more politically viable than a woman/woman ticket. I suppose at some point we'll see a transgender on a Prez ticket and it won't matter. Unless...if both candidates for one party were transgender and the opposing party nominated a hermaphrodite with a tea party VP candidate, then people might get confused. Oddly enough, given these choices, a bagger is the one candidate I wouldn't support for moral reasons.

I've got a few in mind to be vetted. Deval Patrick, Sherrod Brown, Martin O'Malley will be in the hunt-comes off to slick to me, but would fit right in with Hillary's establishment.

Will Jay Inslee get a look?

nailingit — March 9, 2014 at 11:34 a.m. ( | suggest removal

I can't believe it! And then on the other hand, yes I can. The thing that really pisses me off is that he had the nuts to ask after signing the original agreement. And for Meilke to sign off on it, again, unbelievable. Time to write the Commissars (Commissioners) again.

Hawkman — March 9, 2014 at 11:50 a.m. ( | suggest removal

Missed commenting on yesterday's discussion of 2016 presidential ticket but would like to add my two pennies...

If Hillary runs, she's got my vote. Who will be her running mate is a bit more difficult. I like Bernie Sanders very much, and think he'd be outstanding as VP...A Strong Outspoken Democrat to add credence to the diplomatic, economic, and political pressures of the presidency. Also, keeping my eye on Elizabeth Warren. I feel she has a lot to offer, but her experience is limited at this point.

Which brings me to branding... when someone gets promoted with an storm of media coverage and talk show hosts, I feel somehow as tho I'm being groomed or conditioned to have a reflexive response. This is true with drug ads, pop culture, political personalities, or a hundred other ways that branding gets inside our opinions and preferences. Elizabeth Warren and Wendy Davis are being branded to voters just as much as Obama, Rubio, or Ryan ever were. Hard to find the qualities of leadership with the Madison Avenue style expertise and prowess gushing forth.

Of course, I've sort of had my back up since 1980.... should have did the Joe Walsh write-in and saved myself and the country a whole lot of acid indigestion and heartburn.

jacjak — March 9, 2014 at 12:33 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — March 9, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

What is the Joe Walsh write-in? And yea, if old Ronnie did not get voted in back then, this would be a different place. I have never, and will never understand why the right likes him so much and nearly treats him like a saint. What exactly did he do? Besides aid the rich to get richer? And he did NOT bring down the wall either. Biggest crap I ever read and still gets my gander up.

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 1:09 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Ha! Picked up mail today, finally, received a survey from the Heritage Foundation.

Yes, all political surveys by both sides are slanted. But this one...first rule of survey designs completely ignored, biased as can be. Hilarious.
Should I fill it out? For fun?

And they ask me for money. Here is the spot where I fill in with choice words.

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 2:41 p.m. ( | suggest removal

JJ and Luvit

After going thru a few lists, Senate, House and Governors, the name that keeps coming up in my mind is Deval Patrick. Civil rights lawyer, Governor of Massachusetts, Harvard Law. The guy seems right for the job. Just my opinion.

Hawkman — March 9, 2014 at 2:51 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawk, here are the issues with Patrick:
He is smart, has a brain. Ergo many cannot vote for him. Look what happened to Huntsman, the only candidate of the Repubs who was an intelligent person. Thems good people prefer their prez to be unsmart (see Bush).

This guy is also not lily-white. Same old southern states White would have a fit - another one?

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 2:57 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 2:57 p.m.

Yea, I can live with that.

Then after Hillary is done, he can move up to the main job.

Hawkman — March 9, 2014 at 5:11 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Hawkman — March 9, 2014 at 5:11 p.m.
I can live with it also, of course.

But I am not sure certain areas of the country are.

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 6:22 p.m. ( | suggest removal

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 1:09 p.m.

Joe Walsh did some sort of mock shock, proposed a write-in for himself as president. He, like so many others, was completely done with Carter and his give-away on the 40 year deal with oil to Isreal, his never getting it about women's issues, economic issues, and whatever else sort of issues a generous hearted, quiet, unglamorous, non-speech giver might need to deal with from the point of the voter. And yes, we still donate to his Jimmy Carter Work Project. We all could have voted for David Koch the same year, I guess...think he was on someone's ticket. It was a crowed primary with a zillion unfamiliar names to the average voter. Frustrating years...

Always liked Joe Walsh and have about 4 of his albums. Appreciated his political acuem (??). Really liked his solo stuff but sort of lost track... too easily distracted with my bluer years of Tori Amos, Alison Krauss, and Nina Gordon. Even carried on a bit with Ace of Base which I got totally sick of after about 3 months because The Sign was every-freaking-where.

How did I get there to here? Chatter jabber -- time to go feed the dogs.

jacjak — March 9, 2014 at 6:25 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — March 9, 2014 at 6:25 p.m.

He was way too busy with the Eagles and Drew Carey.

Life's been good to me so farrrrrr

Hawkman — March 9, 2014 at 6:49 p.m. ( | suggest removal

Surprised no one is mentioning Kitz as a possibility for Dem Veep. Didn't his stock climb nationally for pushing his PERS reform?

Of course, it would be a lot of entertainment hearing The conservative talk shows carry on about his trips to Bhutan to learn about their “Gross National Happiness” quotient.

roger — March 9, 2014 at 6:56 p.m. ( | suggest removal

roger — March 9, 2014 at 6:56 p.m.

Might as well get Moonbeam Brown up there.
Who lately has voiced his concern about a stoned society if we all legalize dope.
Right. This from the dude....

luvithere — March 9, 2014 at 7:30 p.m. ( | suggest removal

jacjak — March 9, 2014 at 12:33 p.m.

At least make Joe our 'Drug Czar'.

nailingit — March 9, 2014 at 9:37 p.m. ( | suggest removal