Fire destroyed a double-wide mobile home Tuesday morning in Clark County’s Proebstel neighborhood, displacing two people and their two pets.
The fire was reported to 911 at 11:03 a.m. at 20316 N.E. 58th St., off of state Highway 500 in Vancouver. Before firefighters arrived, a man who lived in the home tried to put out the fire with a garden hose. He was treated on the property for second-degree burns and declined to be taken to a hospital, said Vancouver Fire Department Battalion Chief Kevin Griffee.
Fire was already tearing through the home when firefighters arrived. There weren’t any nearby fire hydrants, so the agency used water tenders to fight the blaze, which appeared to have sparked inside the home. Highway 500 was closed for about 15 minutes while firefighters extinguished the fire, Griffee said. Fire District 3 also assisted.
The American Red Cross provided the two residents, a man and a woman, with food, clothing, comfort kits and information about disaster health services. The Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office is investigating the fire.