Naydenov gymnast Jordan Chiles has been selected as a member of the U.S. national team that will compete in Italy this weekend.
Chiles had been in Texas since last Friday attending the National Team Camp. She will compete this weekend at the City of Jesolo Trophy competition.
A seventh grader at Pleasant Valley Middle School, Chiles has been competing in elite meets since she qualified in March as a USA Gymnastics Junior International Elite gymnast.
• Hundreds of the state's top male gymnasts converged on the Clark County Event Center at the Fairgrounds last weekend.
Hosted by Vancouver Elite Gymnastics Academy, the event included four sessions over two days.
• The weekend also included the Oregon Men's State Gymnastics championships in Beaverton. Max DeFrees, a senior at Union High School, won the all-around competition at level 10 for 17-18 year olds.
Warriors rugby romps in state title rematch
In a rematch of last year's state championship game, the Clark County Warriors rugby team beat North Clackamas 57-0 on Saturday.
Blake Ingram, Michael DiGenova and Jason Vailea each scored two tries.
The Warriors "novice" team also won, beating Pendleton 61-20.
• The Union Titans won their second match of the season, 46-26, against Lakeridge High on Saturday at Delta Park. Austin Holloway scored two tries and was awarded 'Man of the Match' by the Lakeridge players.
• The Prairie Wolfpack lost 17-16 to Reynolds High School, last year's state champions.
Over-60 softball registration open
The Vancouver Metro Senior Softball Association for players 60 and older is accepting applications for the 2014 softball season. The season runs for 16 weeks from May through August.
This is a recreational league, organized so that each team can be competitive and still have some fun. Doubleheaders start at 6 p.m. weekdays on the Clark College softball field.
• Vancouver adult basketball teams in PortlandBasketball.com leagues can now play all of their games in Vancouver. Players can sign up for the ion-progress spring leagues. To learn more, visit www.portlandbasketball.com.
COMMUNITY SPORTS NEWS is published each Tuesday. Submit items by calling 360-735-4521 or by sending email to email@example.com.