Fire District 6: Hazel Dell apartment fire accidental

Loss estimated at $1.5 million

By Patty Hastings, Columbian breaking news reporter

Published:

 

Sunday’s three-alarm fire at a Hazel Dell apartment complex was sparked accidentally and caused an estimated $1.5 million in damage, according to the Clark County Fire Marshal’s Office.

The fire began in a walkway on the third floor of the M building at Bridge Creek Apartment Homes, 9211 N.E. 15th St. All 18 apartments were left uninhabitable.

“At this time, we know where and when the fire started and that it was accidental, but we still have several people to question before determining what started it,” said Richard Martin, assistant fire marshal.

The fire was reported at 5:12 a.m. Sunday and took crews about two hours to contain. About 60 to 70 people were displaced by the fire, Fire District 6 spokeswoman Sarah Mitchelson said.