Unattended cooking blamed for Vancouver kitchen fire

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter



A woman escaped injury after a cooking fire damaged the kitchen of a Countryside Woods neighborhood house.

The Vancouver Fire Department was called to 15705 N.E. 10th St. at 8:35 p.m. Sunday. Firefighters quickly doused the blaze, which ended up causing an estimated $20,000 in smoke and fire damage to the kitchen, according to Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli.

The woman, who was deep-frying Twinkies, left the stove unattended, Scarpelli said.

When she noticed the fire, Scarpelli said, she first called her boyfriend before calling 911.

“When a person notices that they have a problem, it’s very important to call 911 right away, then try to extinguish the fire,” Scarpelli said.

She added that cooking fires are also the leading cause of fires in Vancouver.

“It’s just imperative that when people are using the stove, they’re there, that it’s an active process,” she said.

Don't Do Stupid Stuff Mugs