The Hockinson Hawks needed to win one of two games Wednesday to capture the Class 2A Greater St. Helens League baseball crown.
Justin Anderson made sure of it in Game 1 of the doubleheader against Mark Morris.
Anderson hit a grand slam in the fourth inning, and that was enough for pitcher Joel Worden and the Hawks defense in a 4-2 victory.
Mark Morris ended up winning the second game 10-1, but that game did nothing to alter the final order of finish in the standings.
Hockinson finished league play at 10-2, and the Monarchs were second at 9-3. Both teams advanced to the district tournament, starting next week.
Battle Ground 5, Skyview 3 — The Tigers tallied four runs in the first inning, then fended off a late Storm rally to advance to the 4A district title.
Battle Ground will face Union at 7 p.m. Thursday in the district final.
Colin Rubino went 2 for 2 with a run and two RBI, an Hayden Humphrey went 20 for 2 with a double and a run scored to lead the Tigers.
Skyview advances to bi-district as the No. 3 seed from the GSHL.
Mountain View 8, Prairie 0 — Alex Torson threw a four-hit shutout and went 1 for 2 from the plate to lead the Thunder into the 3A district title game.
Mountain View will play Columbia River at 4 p.m. today in the 3A district final.
Prairie, which saw its five-game winning streak snapped, advanced to the bi-district tournament as the No. 3 seed.
Stars of the day
- Colleen Driscoll, Mountain View softball, struck out six and walked none in a 6-1 complete game win over Kelso. Also went 2-for-3 with a home run and 3 RBI.
- Nick Martin, Ridgefield baseball, struck out 12 and allowed four hits in a 3-0 complete game win over Washougal.
- Mo Spieth, Union softball, hit two solo home runs in Union’s 3-2 win over Camas.
- Kaycee Allinger, Evergreen softball, hit a two-run homer in the first inning, sparking a win over Skyview.
- Tristan St. Peter, Prairie softball, struck out eight and threw a five-inning no-hitter in a win over Hudson’s Bay.
- Union girls golf team: Beat Battle Ground to complete a perfect record in the 4A GSHL.
- Sam Rice, Ridgefield softball, went 3 for 3 with two doubles in the Spudders’ 13-3 win over Mark Morris.