You Can Help



• Volunteer Connections provides opportunities through the Human Services Council. For information on the following and other opportunities, call 360-735-3683.

Empower Up is looking for volunteers to help with administrative assistance, writing grants, development, special event and outreach, as leaders in the Reuse Center and as recycling leaders.

Fort Vancouver National Trust is looking for a volunteer receptionist to answer phones, greet visitors, provide tours and answer questions.

Free Clinic has many volunteer needs: an experienced dental assistant and hygienist, optometrist or ophthalmologist, optometrist or ophthalmologist tech, patient intake, and Spanish interpreters.

Friends of the Carpenter is looking for a home shop woodworker, on-site woodworker, help with hospitality, transportation, special events, in the thrift store, with Wednesday events, marketing, with mailings, and as homeless court advocates.

Human Services Council — Volunteer Center is looking for a volunteer to help research, write and submit grant applications on behalf of the Volunteer Center and its programs. A successful track record in grant writing is required. The agency is also looking for volunteers to assist clients in the Veterans Assistance and Resource Program, provide general information, fill out forms and surveys, and help set up computers.

• The Clark County commissioners seek to fill a position on the Animal Protection and Control Advisory Board by a Clark County resident who is a member, employee or officer of a Clark County animal welfare organization.

The board meets quarterly at 6:30 p.m. on the fourth Thursday of the month at Clark County Operations Center, 4700 N.E. 78th St.

The 10-member board reports to the Clark County commissioners and Vancouver City Council at least once a year on general operations of the Animal Protection and Control Program and recommends modifications to county code.

For more information or an application, contact Paul Scarpelli at 360-397-2375 ext. 4705, or Applications may be sent to Animal Protection and Control, P.O. Box 9810, Vancouver, WA 98666-9810, or dropped off at the department on the third floor of the Public Service Center, 1300 Franklin St. The application deadline is June 18.

• The Fort Vancouver National Trust is seeking 300 volunteers for Independence Day at Fort Vancouver on July 4. Individuals, service organizations, corporate groups and all others are encouraged to volunteer to sell and collect tickets, work at information booths, serve water at a water wagon, be a parking lot attendant or work in the adult beverage pavilion. Volunteers receive free admission, a parking pass, volunteer T-shirt and reusable water bottle. Download the application at For questions, please contact Natalie Crippen at 360-992-1808 or email

• The City of Vancouver is seeking applicants to fill one vacancy on the Urban Forestry Commission. Applications must be received by 5 p.m. June 6.

The commission is a seven-member volunteer body appointed by the Vancouver City Council. It is responsible for assisting the City’s Urban Forestry Program in its efforts to manage, conserve and enhance the city’s valuable tree canopy. This vacancy is for one full four-year term. The commission meets on the third Wednesday of the month from 6 to 8 p.m. at City Hall, 415 W. 6th St. There is no city residency requirement to serve.

To apply online, visit To have an application sent to you or for further information, contact Alexis Bafus in the City Manager’s Office at City Hall, P.O. Box 1995, Vancouver, WA 98668-1995, email or call (360) 487-8607.