Squirrel believed to have caused Camas grass fire

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Published:

 

A squirrel is believed to have started a small grass fire in Camas on Friday morning.

Firefighters were called to 3615 N.E. Everett St. just after 7 a.m. to a 20- by 20-foot fire, according to Camas-Washougal Fire Chief Nick Swinhart. Crews quickly doused the blaze.

Swinhart said the blaze is believed to be started by a squirrel, as witnesses heard a “pop” right before the fire ignited.

“We believe he was up on the power line, shorted something out, got electrocuted, fell to the ground and started the fire,” Swinhart said. “We found his remains near where the fire is believed to have started.”

The fire did not spread to any structures or cause any damage resulting in monetary loss.