North-county house fire caused by heater

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Published:

 

A fire that damaged the room of house Tuesday night near Battle Ground was caused by a space heater that overheated a wall power plug, according to fire investigators.

Crews from Clark County Fire & Rescue responded to the blaze in the 8600 block of Northeast 239th Street.

They quickly put out the fire, which originated in an attic bedroom, and confined the damage to the room, Clark County Deputy Fire Marshal Susan Anderson said.

Flames damaged a futon and the wall outlet, though there was smoke damage throughout the house, Anderson said. The total damage, she estimated, was around $25,800 to the structure and $96,801 to the room’s contents.

“The occupants limited damage further by closing all doors and windows and turning off the furnace, which was circulating smoke throughout the house,” Anderson said.