Heat lamp fire kills chicks, damages garage

By Emily Gillespie, Columbian Breaking News Reporter

Published:

 

A heat lamp kept over a pen of baby chicks sparked a fire in the garage of a Northwest Vancouver house, killing the chicks and damaging the structure.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at 4609 N.W. Olive St. which was reported at 6:23 p.m. When crews arrived, they quickly doused the flames.

The homeowner was using a heat lamp to warm some baby chicks, but the lamp was rigged by electrical tape that failed and fell into the straw, sparking the blaze, according to Vancouver Fire Marshal Heidi Scarpelli.

Damage from the fire was contained to the interior and exterior of the garage, resulting in an estimated $10,000, Scarpelli said.